lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
dbrok08
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Cushman w/OMC Engine Info Needed..New User

New to the forums. I have a Cushman with the OMC engine and would like to see if I can get some information about it. I think it's a mid 80's model. I need to check the serial on the engine, but I think I have the 18hp (plugs on the bottom)

A little background on my Cushman... my grandpa acquired it from the place he worked at in the late 80's/early 90's. He had it for several years using it around their house until he replaced it with a John Deere Gator. While I was still in the growing up stage in the early 2000's, I bought it from him and used it at my parents' house. After college, I moved out and was able to take it with me. I haven't done much research on these vehicles until now.

Currently it runs just fine when sitting still, either at an idle or throttled up, but when it is put under a load it wants to die out unless the choke is pulled out. I'm going to change out the plugs and check the point gap to see if that fixes the problem.

It has an electric fuel pump, with an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and carb. As far as I know, the electric fuel pump is the only modification that has been done to this Cushman; everything else is stock. I'd like to figure out if there is a way to increase the top speed a little bit that way it can be used at my ranch with the addition of an aggressive tire vs the solid rubber. But with the current speed I'm limited to, I just use it to putt around my neighborhood and use my Kawasaki Mule on the ranch.

Thanks for reading, any feedback is appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4325.jpg (168.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4326.jpg (126.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4323.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4322.jpg (111.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4324.jpg (157.4 KB, 0 views)
dbrok08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Cushman w/OMC Engine Info Needed..New User

For motor information, go to www.sillylittlecars.com. Then go to manuals, and then click on "shop and maintenance manuals". The 826767 Supplement will have all the information that I've found about the OMC Cushman motors and electrical diagrams for later models of trucksters than your's, but they should be similar enough to help you. The 826767 manual itself is for newer models than what you have, and it's all sub assembly oriented, with exploded views and part numbers. The drive train, steering, etc. parts may be the same as your Truckster, because Cushman didn't change much from year to year. If you need any body parts, your best bet is to look on Craigslist and Ebay for what you need. As far as I know only drive train, motor, brakes and steering parts can still be found.

OMC Cushman motors with plugs below center on the cylinders are indeed 18 hp. If the plugs are above center, the motor is a 22 hp. Both motors are about the same otherwise and most parts will fit both. There was also a one cylinder version of this motor that was made for one of the last models of the Cushman Motor Scooters.

Your carburetor looks to be the same as the one on my 22 hp 1987 Truckster. Since it hasn't run in quite a while your problem is quite likely the carburetor. I was able to buy parts and gaskets for my carburetor from my local forklift repair shop, but they had to order them for me. Forklift repair shops took care of these vehicles back when they were new and in use at industrial locations. My carburetor needed a new float and float needle valve, a new accelerator pump diaphram, and several gaskets for a total cost of about $100. If you can supply me with any numbers and the manufacturer name I may have the parts list with part numbers and exploded view for it. These plastic floats eventually soak up solvents from the gas and float lower in the chamber, causing the motor to run richer than it should. Plugged passage ways and/or a bad accelerator pump diaphram can make the motor die when you open the throttle. I had to clean my carburetor 3 times before I managed to get the accelerator pump passage ways clean.

I have some motor parts (parted out 2 more motors) so if you need something other than wear items I may be able to help.

Do a search for my name in this forum and read some of the replies that I've made to help others with their Trucksters. It should help you find and repair your Truckster, but don't hesitate to ask here if you need help.

Member "Unforgiven" also has significant experience with Cushman Trucksters, so he's another good source for information for you.

That's a nice looking Truckster that you have. It definitely looks to be worth restoring and putting back into service. Most of the story about my Truckster can be found through my post "Cushman Truckster Saved From The Forest" on this forum.

Your Truckster was made in 1982. The two digits following the dash in the model number indicate the year of manufacture. Mine is a 1987. It has a different windshield and nose style, but very much else is likely the same.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
dbrok08
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
For motor information, go to sillylittlecars Then go to manuals, and then click on "shop and maintenance manuals". The 826767 Supplement will have all the information that I've found about the OMC Cushman motors and electrical diagrams for later models of trucksters than your's, but they should be similar enough to help you. The 826767 manual itself is for newer models than what you have, and it's all sub assembly oriented, with exploded views and part numbers. The drive train, steering, etc. parts may be the same as your Truckster, because Cushman didn't change much from year to year. If you need any body parts, your best bet is to look on Craigslist and Ebay for what you need. As far as I know only drive train, motor, brakes and steering parts can still be found.

OMC Cushman motors with plugs below center on the cylinders are indeed 18 hp. If the plugs are above center, the motor is a 22 hp. Both motors are about the same otherwise and most parts will fit both. There was also a one cylinder version of this motor that was made for one of the last models of the Cushman Motor Scooters.

Your carburetor looks to be the same as the one on my 22 hp 1987 Truckster. Since it hasn't run in quite a while your problem is quite likely the carburetor. I was able to buy parts and gaskets for my carburetor from my local forklift repair shop, but they had to order them for me. Forklift repair shops took care of these vehicles back when they were new and in use at industrial locations. My carburetor needed a new float and float needle valve, a new accelerator pump diaphram, and several gaskets for a total cost of about $100. If you can supply me with any numbers and the manufacturer name I may have the parts list with part numbers and exploded view for it. These plastic floats eventually soak up solvents from the gas and float lower in the chamber, causing the motor to run richer than it should. Plugged passage ways and/or a bad accelerator pump diaphram can make the motor die when you open the throttle. I had to clean my carburetor 3 times before I managed to get the accelerator pump passage ways clean.

I have some motor parts (parted out 2 more motors) so if you need something other than wear items I may be able to help.

Do a search for my name in this forum and read some of the replies that I've made to help others with their Trucksters. It should help you find and repair your Truckster, but don't hesitate to ask here if you need help.

Member "Unforgiven" also has significant experience with Cushman Trucksters, so he's another good source for information for you.

That's a nice looking Truckster that you have. It definitely looks to be worth restoring and putting back into service. Most of the story about my Truckster can be found through my post "Cushman Truckster Saved From The Forest" on this forum.

Your Truckster was made in 1982. The two digits following the dash in the model number indicate the year of manufacture. Mine is a 1987. It has a different windshield and nose style, but very much else is likely the same.

Charley

Thank you for the response, that is a lot of good information and should be of help. And thanks for the comment on my Truckster; my dad and I actually repainted it sometime around 2003, the original colors of course. After researching around a little bit I've realized that there is a lot to learn about these Trucksters. I will start with the carburetor and see where that gets me. I changed out the plugs tonight and that wasn't the issue. All along I figured the carb needed to be cleaned out, but I thought I would start with the easy task of changing out the plugs.

Something that I forgot to mention is that the motor runs and has been running since it was manufactured. For about 10 years, it would sit up to 6-8 months at a time without getting started, but when we did go start it up it started without an issue. Maybe needed to charge the battery, but other than that it was fine. In the past year or so, it has been used more frequently; started and/or driven around at least 3 times a month, or more. It was around the end of April when I started having my current issue. It has also been stored in a shop or garage most of its life, so that is a plus.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

I still think your problem is a dirty carburetor. The age of the float makes me partly suspicious of it, but you most likely have a bad accelerator pump diaphram or blocked passages to/from the accelerator pump chamber. It's in the bulge on the driver's side of the carburetor if your carburetor is a Keihin carb (Japanese Carburetor). These carburetors are very good, when they work. Newer gas formulations containing alcohol are very hard on older design engines and carburetors. Alcohol readily absorbs water from the air and the alcohol can deteriorate rubber parts of older carburetors quickly if not made from the right rubber formulations.

Please verify that your carburetor is indeed a Keihin. If so, I can send a parts list and exploded view of it with part numbers. The parts for mine came from my local forklift service, but they had to order them. It took almost a month for everything to arrive.

Your fuel filter should be located between the gas tank and the electric fuel pump, and not where it is. Inside the inlet connection of the Keihin carburetors is also a very tiny screen filter that is likely plugged up by now. Remove the fuel line and look into the
inlet of the carburetor. If it's there, a pair of needle nose pliers can pull it out easily. These filters are no longer available. I run my Truckster without one. It was removed before I got the Truckster. If you can clean it and put it back, great! If not, just discard it.

Is the inside of your gas tank rusty? Exact size gas tanks for Cushman vehicles don't seem to be available anymore. I cleaned and re-lined my tank with a special gas tank repair kit that I bought off Amazon from KBS Industries. It was the 6 gallon motorcycle tank relining kit. My tank had almost 1/4" of rust in the bottom and the whole inside was rusty. This kit completely cleaned the rust out, sealed two pin holes, and relined the tank with an epoxy like plastic coating. It's better than new now. I highly recommend this kit, although the process of doing it takes a few hours in several steps, spaced out over about a week, the result is fantastic.

Charley
Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
dbrok08
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I took apart the carb last week, and it is in fact a Keihin. After taking it apart, cleaning it and putting it back on, my Truckster runs great. I need to replace a few gaskets on it, so I went ahead and ordered them and will replace them later this week once they come in. Overall I think it went well. Once I realized that the engine cover was only attached using 2 bolts, I took that off and it easier to get to everything. The only difficulty I had, for whatever reason, was re-attaching the choke cable & spring.

I was able to get ahold of all of the service and parts manuals online, so that has been very helpful. These included a breakdown of the different carbs with parts lists. I believe that the inlet had a screen in it, but I didn't want to break it so I left it in there. That is good to know that it can be run without it. When I replace the gaskets I'll take a better look.

As far as the fuel goes, I always run Stabil in my equipment. I put the required amount in my empty gas cans before filling them up, that way the Stabil is in everything I put gas into.

Thanks for the tip about the fuel filter, I'll put it in the correct spot.

Surprisingly my gas tank does not have any rust in it but I will continue to monitor it and if it does end up accumulating rust I will line the tank. I actually used one of those lining kits on an old ATV about 5 years ago and it worked great. You're right, it's not very difficult but it's very time consuming.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Glad I could help. Don't hesitate to post any new problems you may have. I enjoy helping those who appreciate it.

Charley
Old 10-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
Jhudgens
Not Yet Wild

Need help finding a keihin carb for my 22hp omc engine.
Jhudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
kajer533
Not Yet Wild

Any older model cushman parts you may need, there is a guy in Fontana, CA that has a whole barn full of parts. I just bought an axle off of him, and it sounds like he really knows what he is talking about on cushmans.

Search the losangeles craigslist for `CUSHMAN PARTS for SALE`

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...994088484.html
kajer533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts