lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
slicknsticky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Wheelchair accessible RXV build

Hi gang, newbie here. I have a couple of friends building a 2010 RXV electric that I can drive from my wheelchair. Here is a summary of what's been done so far
1. The frame has been stretched 18"s & the entire seat area removed. Rear body panel trimmed to remove battery & seat area.
2. The floorboard was replaced with sealed 48" x 48" piece of treated wallboard.
3. The steering column was relocated to the center of the cart & modifed to tilt up to give more access when I am entering or exiting cart.
4. The battery box has been relocated & brackets built for it to sit above the motor.
5. It has been fitted with a side-mounted ramp similar to a wheelchair mini-van (a linear actuator will raise & lower the ramp).
6. The accelerator & brake pedal have been modified & relocated to be controlled by hand.
7. Rear roof top struts relocated & modified we so can use factory top.

The items still to come are to install new mud grip tires, a complete light kit including turn signals (12V reducer to run lights), camo wrap the tan colored body & install a brush guard mounted with a Superwinch LT3000 winch.

I would love some feedback on mounting the winch (what brand brushguard to use) & how to keep from draining one specific battery using the winch.
slicknsticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Wheelchair accessible RXV build

WOW!! I'd love to see some pics of your work in progress. For your winch, you might want to think of having a separate auto 12-V battery for that. I have that set up on my 48-V EZ-GO and like it.

I don't always use the winch, but when I do the 12-V is fully charged (I have a separate trickle charger that I will charge the battery at least once a week even if I don't use it.) My headlights are also hooked up to this 12-V battery. This set up allows all of the cart battery juice to just be used where it's needed the most. To haul my fat arse around where I need to go!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
dave2you2
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would agree, that sounds like an awesome set up, I would keep all 12 volt items on a separate battery to keep from taxing part of the pack and having some batteries discharged at different rates.
Some pictures would be cool, this sounds like a great system going together.
Best of luck to ya!
dave2you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
slicknsticky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! I'll get some pics posted ASAP.

For the lights we plan to use a 12V reducer. That way usage is equal from the pack. However, for the winch that might not be such a bad idea - seperate 12V battery. Room in the battery area is limited though. Probably just engineer it like some of the other items........... trial & error!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I may have missed it, but is the winch going to be used regularly, or only occasionally? If you're gonna use it regularly, a separate 12 volt battery is the best.

I only had one occasion where I could have used a winch, and if I had one, I would probably just hook it up to two of my batteries. Then after I returned safely home, I would check all battery voltages, and use a 12 volt charger if necessary, (to keep the pack balanced) before putting it on the cart charger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

S'n-S, I'm in the Disabled category as well, but fortunately, I can still walk short distances with the aid of a cane. My MS will only let me "go" for so long before it says...that's all your gettin partner!! So, I have a "regular" converted EZ-GO cart. I do have a winch in the front (A high quality Warne) and one in the back as well. (A chepo Chinese built one.) I've been in a few places in the woods where I've.....let's say "mis-judged" the mud depth and had to use both winch's to get myself out of hot water.

The 12-V car battery has never let me down, so I have a lot of confidence it that setup.

Dave
Old 03-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
sknnyftn
Not Yet Wild

I would encourage you to consider adding some anchorage points for the chair and a seat belt. Perhaps the fold up style they use on public buses where a ratchet strap attaches to the chair frame. I would hate to see the auto-brake lock up on the RXV and send your chair rolling into the dash and possibly you continuing on.
sknnyftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknnyftn View Post
I would encourage you to consider adding some anchorage points for the chair and a seat belt. Perhaps the fold up style they use on public buses where a ratchet strap attaches to the chair frame. I would hate to see the auto-brake lock up on the RXV and send your chair rolling into the dash and possibly you continuing on.
Good idea Sknntyftn!! Inertia can be a funny thing!! Sometimes Ha Ha funny....sometimes....not so much!!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
slicknsticky
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknnyftn View Post
Thanks for your concern. Safety measures will definately be in place!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO