lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
bobgo
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 does not want to start in reverse

I am in the middle of a deal for a 2-stroke Yamaha G1 that has brand new crankcase seals, new jug, piston and rings that doesn't want to start when in reverse. The only notable thing I know of that needs to be fixed is that choke is not hooked up. But it will start up and run in forward, just a bit hard to get started when weather is cold. Edit -- forgot to say that it does crank over in reverse and very occasionally will fire up but that is seldom - most times it will crank but not start when in reverse.
bobgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 does not want to start in reverse

Thats weird as the starter/charger just swings the motor clockwise or anticlockwise...
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
bobgo
Not Yet Wild

But from the wiring diagram it looks like changing from forward to reverse on key switch reverses the polarity on one of the coils in the magneto. Don't know if that could be a cause or not. Will have to dig deeper.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If the engine spins in reverse but doesn't run, I'd look at ignition. Check to see if you are getting spark in reverse. If not, it could be the main ignition switch. The pulser coil and cdi are both used the same in forward and reverse, but the main ignition switch sends the power to the ignition, according to the manual (page 7-14). The manual does a good job of detailing how to check each of the ignition components, highly recommend using the manual.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
bobgo
Not Yet Wild

According to the wiring diagram, the key switch switches polarity to one of the windings in the magneto when changing between forward and reverse. Be out of town this weekend so will follow up with mechanic on Monday.
EDIT TO ADD
I do not have a manual - is one available here? You can tell by the wiring diagram that the key switch changes the connection to one of the windings in the magneto - connection between B and G/W or G/R get reversed as switch is changed between forward and reverse (B to W/G in reverse and B to W/R in forward). Not sure what effect that has though. Also, I wonder just how important having choke hooked up is as choke is not hooked up on this cart at the moment. I have a a friend that has one and says he almost always has to choke his to start especially when engine is cold and in cooler weather. It has been max of around 50-55F here during the time we have been fooling with this.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

mikeasis has a link to the G1 manual posted in his signature. It can be found here:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172285
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
bobgo
Not Yet Wild

A follow up
Apparently it was carb. (???) mechanic put a new carb on and it seems the problem is gone. Fires up basically instantly in either forward or reverse. Still don't have choke hooked up as new cable hasn't arrived yet. But at least at current temps it doesn't need choke anyway.
Secondary question, do these normally get enough oil with the injection to make them smoke a bit? I'm not seeing any smoke and wondering if i should add some oil in gas. Don't want to wreck a lower end on motor with new crank seals, jug, piston, and rings.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha