lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Ohc123
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 500 amp controller upgrade from 250

Hey guys, My stock 08 Precedent controller is only a 250 amp.
What could I expect from an upgrade to 500amps? Mph increase? New wires of course. Will I need a HD solenoid too?
Also, whats the best controller brand to go with?
Soon enough, Id like to upgrade my motor to the PQ Bandit
Im glad to be a member of BGW!!!
Thanks
Ohc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Default Re: 500 amp controller upgrade from 250

Welcome. Please list first part of serial number, it will help folks identify your cart and they will be able help.

In general - No substantial MPH gain with 500 AMP controller. You should see quite a bit of torque difference with the controller, how much depends on motor.

You will see a MPH increase with larger wheels and tires and then you will be thankful for the 500 amp controller since the wheels & tires rob some torque. PQ Motor will provide some more speed & torque.

Programming may be the most performance gain.

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Agreed, up front bone stock you can change program settings and get more speed. To get more speed and torque after that at some point you have to do it all eventually, you may get slight performance increases by changing some parts in the system but the big change is when it is all upgraded.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
G man
Not Yet Wild

You will see a slight mph increase. More so if the new controller disables the regen, as you will easily exceed the prior 19.6 mph on flat ground and down hill. And yes to installing an HD solenoid. The stock solenoid will most likely get pretty hot under the increased amperage, and fail you much sooner.
G man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Ohc123
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the help guys!!
I just got my hands on a Plum Quick bandit that Im going to install on my 08 Precedent.
Its about a year old. Can I expect some good torque & speed with that motor alone & stock 250 amp controller? My controller has speed code 4.
I love this stuff!!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Please post what you get with the bandit
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Ohc123
Getting Wild

Club Car

I will. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
cjderoche
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Any further on the PQ Bandit upgrade Ohc123?
I'm interested at some point in upgrading my cables, controller & solenoid, and maybe motor if the first three doesn't give me what I want.
cjderoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjderoche View Post
Any further on the PQ Bandit upgrade Ohc123?
I'm interested at some point in upgrading my cables, controller & solenoid, and maybe motor if the first three doesn't give me what I want.
You've got to decide on what you want speed, torque or both? Your only going to get just so much of either out of a stock motor and if your able to feed too much wattage to a stock motor by way of increased controller size and/or settings you might just burn up the motor... Nothing wrong at all with going to larger cables as there will be no money wasted there. Nothing wrong with a larger solenoid as again there will be no money wasted if you increase the amperage of your controller. Think hard about torque or speed needs before spending your money on speed magnets, or speed codes as those expenses might be a waste if you decide to go with a larger controller or a PQ motor as they come with a speed magnets already installed....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
You've got to decide on what you want speed, torque or both? Your only going to get just so much of either out of a stock motor and if you feed too much wattage to a stock motor by way of increased controller size and/or settings you might just burn up the motor... Nothing wrong at all with going to larger cables as there will be no money wasted there. Nothing wrong with a larger solenoid as again there will be no money wasted if you increase the amperage of your controller. Think hard about torque or speed needs before spending your money on speed magnets, or speed codes as those expenses might be a waste if you decide to go with a larger controller or a PQ motor as they come with a speed magnets already installed....
The motor will only draw so much, having a larger only provides more amperage if needed, so that won't damage the motor.

That said your correct he needs to know what the main purpose of this cart will be. I did the upgrade with the PQ Executioner custom built for my application, it is a torque motor that I actually get 25.2mph. That is about as fast as you want to go safely with a cart unless you lower center gravity or build a race cart. Most guys that hit speeds 30 + end up limiting the speed because they can get very squirrely.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car