lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Surprise Surprise!!!!

Well, this may come as a shock for some, but I'm on the brink of taking out the 13hp "Honda." BUT, before anyone says one word about it being a crappy engine, don't even post! I'm taking it out because, though it is a great engine, it's not meant for a golf cart. I have tried hundreds of times and adjustments on the carburetor and I just can't get it tuned right for the fuel pump. I may take it out and put all the stock stuff back on it and either put a 16hp Kawasaki "KartZilla" engine in it, or buy a 23hp Kawasaki and make my own kit. One way or another, there shall be no engine in it again unless it's a Kawasaki.

I had another thought of taking the FE290 (capable of around 12hp) and boring it, milling the head, shimming the valve springs, fixing the head for more oil flow, calling around about billet rods, and just some other things here and there.

IF, in the next month or so, I decide to go ahead with this, I'll be sure to keep updated and I'll post this engine, pre-broken in, for sale.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

how much would you sell that engine if you yank it out?
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I'm not sure yet, I'll decide when/if I do.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Dero
Gone Wild

Can you use the carb off your fe290?
Dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

No, I looked at that too. It isn't the right size or "bolt pattern." I don't think the carburetor off that engine would be able to get enough fuel to this one anyway, but I could be wrong. I'm not going to mess with that since I'm looking at tuning the FE290 now and I may need that carb.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

You should have left the stock gravity fed gas tank and carb. It worked excellent and no messing with a fuel pump.
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #7
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

It would wouldn't fit, or allow for my throttle linkage, or allow for my starter. :)

I just screwed with it more today and it's a lot better than it was, but still not perfect. I'll give it a little more time before I start looking at other engines.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Dero
Gone Wild

I dont quite understand...is it not getting enough fuel or what?
Dero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #9
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dero
I dont quite understand...is it not getting enough fuel or what?
To be 100% honest, I have no idea.

It's quite baffling, because the plug says lean but the muffler says rich. I cleaned the carburetor earlier and it had a bunch of junk in the bowl, and it helped some, but it's still not right.

I thought back to an old Datsun my mother had a long time ago and (I hope this isn't it) but it did the same thing; it would run fine until it got hot, the sputter and carry on. That is what this is doing, and I'm 99% sure it's in the fuel system. BUT, the Datsun had a cracked head. If it's a head gasket on this one, I will just replace it, but I looked at this one for an hour at least since the last one I got had a cracked block and I didn't see a crack anywhere. If it's the head, I'll put a 19hp or 23hp Kawasaki in it. Who wants to send me a check? I'll accept up to $2,500 as a donation. And uhhhhh I made some errrr wooden motor mounts.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #10
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Just out of curiosity, how does a muffler say rich? I know a plug can be determined by the color of the cermanic, but a muffler? Enlighten me...

I don't remember, what are you using for a muffler? Is it allowing for enough air flow for the eingine?
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!