lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Fwd troubles

I'm having issues of my cart going forward when I press the go go pedal. It is very responsive in reverse, but I have to fiddle with the FNR switch to make the cart go FWD. I troubleshot enough tonight to find out the cart will respond fine if I clock the FRN switch about 1/16th of an inch off the FWD stop. Instinct tells me to go 1/4 turn tighter on the FNR but I wanted to ask first.

Also if anyone can assist me in programming my SPM to sense my over pedal. I would really appreciate that. Mostly, what needs to be checked and unchecked in the SPM program. And if anything else need to happen besides a few runs of slow and steady pedal travel from each stop? I shortened my throttle rod to only allow over 5.8K ohm but the cart still studders with an over throttle warning in the program.

Thanks in advance
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fwd troubles

I think the F&R is mounted in adjustable holes. Sounds like you need to slide it a bit so good contact is made for both directions.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
I think the F&R is mounted in adjustable holes. Sounds like you need to slide it a bit so good contact is made for both directions.
AzPete, if what you are refering is whether I am hitting the mechanical stops of the FNR? I gaurantee you I am

My switch isn't terrible to turn so maybe I'll give it a 1/4 turn on the nut.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

try tightening...if that doesnt work and your board doesnt look burnt...may get by with purchasing just new contacts instead of a whole FnR
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

It's a brand new HD FNR so I'm pretty sure it's a configuration issue. Plus add my over throttle issue with my new SPM. I think the problem is either tightness of the FNR or controller. I'm pretty sure either way, it's probably an easy fix.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If it's a new F&R, I hope it has my HD switch cam in it!
Make this continuity test on the back side to see if the problem is indeed lack of contact. Then note that the center pivot shaft nut should be run down to the bottom of it's threads to provide proper tension of the spring loaded contacts.

The fact that it is a new install and working in one direction but not the other consistently, makes me to think that the F&R location may be off in the slotted mounting holes. These slots are for shift linkage adjustment as somebody else has already mentioned...
Of course check for the obvious loose cable connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo F&R cam test.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
It's a brand new HD FNR so I'm pretty sure it's a configuration issue. Plus add my over throttle issue with my new SPM. I think the problem is either tightness of the FNR or controller. I'm pretty sure either way, it's probably an easy fix.
Gonk, I would call Alltrax with the controller issue. Not many folks are nearly as familiar with them or troubleshooting them since they are so new. From what Rich told me, the SPM line is a lot more sensitive to the throttle input than other controllers. It doesn't have a preset upper and lower limit for most throttle types so it can adjust to your throttle input even if it is not putting out the right voltage. I would just call them and ask to speak directly to Rich. As far as I was told, the way I told you to calibrate the throttle in the other thread is the way to do it. I've had to do it countless times with the trouble I had, but there may be more to it for your throttle. I would tighten the tension nut on the f/r. Mine was doing pretty much the same thing when I installed the h/d cam. Hope this helps.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrone View Post
Gonk, I would call Alltrax with the controller issue. Not many folks are nearly as familiar with them or troubleshooting them since they are so new. From what Rich told me, the SPM line is a lot more sensitive to the throttle input than other controllers. It doesn't have a preset upper and lower limit for most throttle types so it can adjust to your throttle input even if it is not putting out the right voltage. I would just call them and ask to speak directly to Rich. As far as I was told, the way I told you to calibrate the throttle in the other thread is the way to do it. I've had to do it countless times with the trouble I had, but there may be more to it for your throttle. I would tighten the tension nut on the f/r. Mine was doing pretty much the same thing when I installed the h/d cam. Hope this helps.

Ron is right. 98% of all problems with the HD switch cam upgrade are fixed by setting the proper cam tension, which is done by running the nut down on the center pivot shaft. But if you have a cartsunlimited HD F&R it has already been properly tensioned and tested per diagram above before it was shipped. So likely the location in the slotted floor mounts is the issue with intermittent performance.
An easy way to verify this is to disconnect the shift linkage and shift the F&R with a 9/16th wrench on the center pivot shaft to see if rev or forward works then. If yes a location adjustment should fix the shifter throws...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Yuppers Scotty, this is your HD FNR. Since this is a 94 series Marathon, it doesn't have the linkage you guys are referring to. This just started happening which leads me to believe the FNR has settled into it's thing ie break-in period, if that such thing exists for one of these.

Ron, I'll give Rich a call about the controller. The instruction for the controller are downloadable and I have read through it but what the instructions lack is details of what each checkable box does or undoes. Even though the program is mostly intuitive and self explanatory, I still have a question or two. As said before I'll give Rich a call, it should be a quick conversation.

Shon
Old 07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

tightening the FNR switch's shaft nut fixed that problem, which also fixed the lurching that had started a couple weeks ago too.

I talked to Rich and decided I will put in a mechanical stop for now. I most likely have a dead spot in my POT on the high end. I wish I had a meter with a needle vs DMM to effectively T/S that issue but 2 bucks and a visit to radio shack will get me a new POT.

I'll call this ticket closed. Thanks guys

Shon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO