lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Wrench shorted across battery pack

Well guys, I've been cruising the forum for a while and figured this may be a good time to begin posting. I've got a couple of poor man cart projects underway, but was ready to take the leap and buy my first brand new set of 6 Trojan T-105s to get a recently acquired 2000 EZ GO Jacobsen Hauler cart going right.
Got the batteries in and, instead of using a ratchet/socket (and my better judgement), I decided to use a close-by wrench and shorted the batteries like shown on my attachment. It was quite a July 4th fireworks show, although not the one that I was prepared for. The connection lasted about 1 minute while I ran for the extinguisher and hammer to knock the welded wrench off the terminals. Time flys by when you see flames shoot up in your garage and you can't find your way to the door because of smoke.
It melted all of the battery connection cables, but not any other wiring. Burned a hole in 1 battery and melted the terminal off of another.
I checked the batteries (after the show and removing all battery cables) and to my amazement, they all still read 6.25 to 6.36 volts...even the one with the hole burned through the top by the terminal. I put a 6 volt charger on the batteries (one at a time) for a couple of hours each last night in an attempt to possibly salvage some of the $700 worth of batteries and cables I bought just the day before.
My question is - What can I expect from this set of batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2000 EZ GO Jacobsen.jpg (14.0 KB, 36 views)
go EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wrench shorted across battery pack

rabbit reborn has a good way to salvage a melted termininal. maybe do a search. as for the hole, i guess you could try epoxy on it. a hole really shouldn't hurt anything. next time tape up your wrench!

and welcome to BGW.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Call your dealer and see if he can't have your battery repaired; new post and top installed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And what could I expect in the way of battery degradation from a discharge of this sorts?
Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I dunno, I've never tried it

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you discharged the battery too awfully deep, and you did recharge them all immediately afterward... I would not expect any long term effects.

Obviously one battery took the biggest hit. Have it checked out and repaired if possible. They can inspect the plates and cell connections when they remove the lid... worse case I think you replace the one and go on a wiser man

P.S. I'm kinda surprised you got that much of a short from connecting 2 negative posts? It may have been trying to pour 36v in one 12v battery?
Maybe somebody else will shed some light on this part?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb. My dealer just told me the same things you did.
Like the diagram I attached attempts to show, the current went through batteries #2 through #6 starting with the negative terminal of #1. It fried all of the new connecting cables between 1 and 6 and smoked the hole in the top of #6.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by go EZ View Post
Thanks scottyb. My dealer just told me the same things you did.
Like the diagram I attached attempts to show, the current went through batteries #2 through #6 starting with the negative terminal of #1. It fried all of the new connecting cables between 1 and 6 and smoked the hole in the top of #6.
You dealer is a smart man
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Fixing the melted post is easy, fixing the hole in the top... not as easy... However, as a bonus for you, there is a company called Safe Start that is a Trojan Distributer in the Tampa Area. If your local dealer can't get the religious battery repaired, maybe give them a call and see if they can do it for you. If they won't talk to you, shoot me a PM and I will use my contacts to see if I can get you assistance with it....

I doubt you have done any long term damage to the batteries in terms of functionality.... Fortunately for you, you were able to react quickly and prevent any serious damage to the house or cart.

Yeah, 30 Volts dead shorted makes one heck of a lightshow.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks rabbit. I thought for sure a dead short for 1 minute might be kind of like leaving them sit dead for a while. Made entertaining friends for the holiday a bit difficult thinking I had just put a match to 7 hundred dollar bills.
My dealer (West Florida Battery) here in Holiday, FL did act reluctant about patching the hole in the top, but said - bring 'em on down and they'll take a look.
I'll keep your offer in mind if they can't do anything.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

All of the positive comments have been heartening, but I am now beginning to wonder... I can't use the 36 V charger just yet so I have been rotating a 6 V charger around the pack. I have used many 12 and 6 V chargers and have an idea of what the meter should be doing. This new charger I have has a 0-14 scale on the meter and I have been rotating it from battery to battery every 2 hours so none are neglected. It always starts off at around 11 and goes down to approx 9 in a 2 hour period. Maybe I just need to replace the 1 battery with a hole in the top, connect new cables and get the 36 V charger on them ASAP.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO