lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
89ezgo6473
Not Yet Wild

Default No spark after HEI conversion

I've got a 1989 Ezgo. Did the HEI conversion and the cart ran great for about 2 weeks then just stopped. Not getting any spark. Any suggestions?
89ezgo6473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
TDIguy2
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: No spark after HEI conversion

You may have burned out the coil or module. You can test the coil with an ohmmeter, but it is not easy to test the module. If the coil is good, try a new module. Before you drive too far, lift the rear wheels and check the system voltage when running at governor speed. I did this and discovered my starter generator was putting out 18V and huge amperage, boiling the battery. The starter generator tested out bad.
TDIguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
89ezgo6473
Not Yet Wild

Tested coil, sure enough 0.00. Ordered new one, will test voltage when installed. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
89ezgo6473
Not Yet Wild

Wasn't the coil, don't know how I got 0 on ohms. Ordered module and will put on today.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89ezgo6473 View Post
I've got a 1989 Ezgo. Did the HEI conversion and the cart ran great for about 2 weeks then just stopped. Not getting any spark. Any suggestions?
This is just a thought for when it runs and your out driving. Do not for any reason leave the key on with the engine not running. Do not leave the key on if your work on it unless you unplug the power to the ignition system. They operate at a lower temp when there working and they burn out if there not working and the power is on. This site has a lot of useful information on ignition system.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
This is just a thought for when it runs and your out driving. Do not for any reason leave the key on with the engine not running. Do not leave the key on if your work on it unless you unplug the power to the ignition system. They operate at a lower temp when there working and they burn out if there not working and the power is on. This site has a lot of useful information on ignition system.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm
Looking at the 3 pg wiring diagram, in no way shape or form does that advice apply. Both the coil, and the ignition module get their power from the D side of the solenoid. There is no power there until the key switch, the pedal switch, and the neutral safety switch all make contact. At that point the solenoid activates, and the starter is turning. That means the ignition system is not powered until the cart is running.

My key switch hasn't been turned off in 5 years. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...n-retrofit.jpg
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89ezgo6473 View Post
Sorry my suggestion didn't fit your requirements. If there's no obvious problems like wires falling off, then one of your components is not working and may have burned out. I'm sure you knew all about not overheating the module when you went with this conversion.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
89ezgo6473
Not Yet Wild

How do I test for this?
Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It ran for two weeks, and stopped.

It either lost a connection, or burned up the module. I don't know of any way to test the module.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
It ran for two weeks, and stopped.

It either lost a connection, or burned up the module. I don't know of any way to test the module.
There is no way to test the module. You test the the trigger coil under the flywheel -- you test the ignition coil -- you check your connections - if all is good all the way around then its the module. You mounted the module with heat sink grease smeared on the back and on the heat sink itself -- which shouldn't be mounted on the engine block because of the heat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO