lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
oldboyblue
Not Yet Wild

Default Jerky Ride

I have a 2003 TXT EZGO and am trying to figure out why it seems to ride jerky for a lack of a better word lol it's been like this pretty much since we got it.

Runs okay, backfires occasionally going up hill or first starting and doesn't start from the get go sometimes. Takes about 2 tries, more when it is colder.

While driving it seems like we are jerking back and forth and not sure why. It's not whiplash bad but it is rather noticeable.
oldboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jerky Ride

It will most likely be your throttle cable adjustment for the jerking. and maybe valve adjustment for start up. I assume you have a twin cylinder engine? confirm this and we can talk you through what to do next.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
oldboyblue
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
It will most likely be your throttle cable adjustment for the jerking. and maybe valve adjustment for start up. I assume you have a twin cylinder engine? confirm this and we can talk you through what to do next.
It is a 295cc robin engine not too knowledgeable if it is a twin cylinder lol I have adjusted the valves last year and it seemed to help with the backfiring. Had plans to do it again in the hopes it would help again as well as new plugs.

Also considering replacing the carb completely due to a replacement one on Amazon seems not to be too costly.

I have read a couple articles on here about adjusting the throttle cable just not sure if I can do it correctly lol

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Ok, First of all, check your valve lash and if the inner two need adjusting already, you will need to replace the inlet valves.

Second, forget the cheap carbs on Amazon, they are chinese copies and can be difficult to make work properly.

Third, throttle adjustment: with the ignition off, slowly push the gas pedal down and you will hear a quiet click coming from below the floor under your foot. once you can identify when it clicks, lift the seat off and doi it again while watching the carb butterfly control. the click should happen before the butterfly starts to open. if the butterfly is moving before the click, you need to adjust the cable or maybe the link rod to correct. Also on the side of the carb is a small screw for adjusting the idle when this engine was used in other applications. Make sure it is not screwed in and holding the butterfly slightly open. If it is, wind it out or even remove it completely, as it is not required in theis application. Hopefully if you can follow this, you should be sorted.

It is most likely to be the carb adjustment is the issue.

As i said, it is way better to keep the old carb than buy a clone.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #5
oldboyblue
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Ok, First of all, check your valve lash and if the inner two need adjusting already, you will need to replace the inlet valves.

Second, forget the cheap carbs on Amazon, they are chinese copies and can be difficult to make work properly.

Third, throttle adjustment: with the ignition off, slowly push the gas pedal down and you will hear a quiet click coming from below the floor under your foot. once you can identify when it clicks, lift the seat off and doi it again while watching the carb butterfly control. the click should happen before the butterfly starts to open. if the butterfly is moving before the click, you need to adjust the cable or maybe the link rod to correct. Also on the side of the carb is a small screw for adjusting the idle when this engine was used in other applications. Make sure it is not screwed in and holding the butterfly slightly open. If it is, wind it out or even remove it completely, as it is not required in theis application. Hopefully if you can follow this, you should be sorted.

It is most likely to be the carb adjustment is the issue.

As i said, it is way better to keep the old carb than buy a clone.
Thank you! I am going to try to head down today to adjust the throttle cable. Should I be able to see everything with just the seat off or will I need to get under it?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just seat off. You will see movement at the carb linkage fine.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
oldboyblue
Not Yet Wild

Just got down here tonight before dark. I couldn't see the butterfly but I am thinking I need to take off the air box? I planned to anyways to change a hose that is severely cracked.

In the pictures are you able to point out the screw you had mentioned or any other pointers you can think of?

I also noticed I have a lot of oil on the engine plate? And am curious how to remedy that.

Thanks for all the help as I am really new to a lot of this but am willing to take my time and hopefully learn lol

Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

ezgo carb.jpg

In this image, the screw looks to be already removed (where the red arrow is.)

To actually see the butterfly, you do need to remove the airbox cover, filter, and a metal baffle plate. but you can pop off the control end ( blue arrow) on the operating arm for the butterfly and make sure it is fully closed, but it is better to look into the carb throat to make sure. Once you can confirm that the butterfly is fully closed, reconnect the control end and operate the pedal. watch closely and look for smooth movement of the butterfly making absolutely sure that the pedal switch clicks BEFORE the the butterfly starts to open. if the butterfly moves before the click, then you need to adjust the cable that operates the carb. what is happening here is that the carb is open before the ignition is live and then starting up at part throttle, you need to make it so that the ignition is live before the carb opens.

The cable that controls the carb comes from the back axle and adjustments are usually made there. A good picture of the governor controls on the back axle would be useful to make sure nothing has been tampered with there before we set up the carb end. I suspect that the governor may have been adjusted for more speed at some time and needs to be set up correctly. Too much speed by raising the engine revs will only cause damage to the engine and may also be a factor in excessive inlet valve wear. remember, these were designed for pottering around a golf course, not street racing LOL.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
oldboyblue
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Attachment 170071

In this image, the screw looks to be already removed (where the red arrow is.)

To actually see the butterfly, you do need to remove the airbox cover, filter, and a metal baffle plate. but you can pop off the control end ( blue arrow) on the operating arm for the butterfly and make sure it is fully closed, but it is better to look into the carb throat to make sure. Once you can confirm that the butterfly is fully closed, reconnect the control end and operate the pedal. watch closely and look for smooth movement of the butterfly making absolutely sure that the pedal switch clicks BEFORE the the butterfly starts to open. if the butterfly moves before the click, then you need to adjust the cable that operates the carb. what is happening here is that the carb is open before the ignition is live and then starting up at part throttle, you need to make it so that the ignition is live before the carb opens.

The cable that controls the carb comes from the back axle and adjustments are usually made there. A good picture of the governor controls on the back axle would be useful to make sure nothing has been tampered with there before we set up the carb end. I suspect that the governor may have been adjusted for more speed at some time and needs to be set up correctly. Too much speed by raising the engine revs will only cause damage to the engine and may also be a factor in excessive inlet valve wear. remember, these were designed for pottering around a golf course, not street racing LOL.

I hope this helps.
You are being a tremendous help, now I just need to find time to work on this thing.

I am off tomorrow so that is the plan for a few hours to hopefully get this thing moving in the right direction lol

Attached is a picture of what I believe is the governor cable you were asking for as well.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

That is the gear selector cable. The throttle/governor cable is underneath the black metal plate on top of the axle. it is held on with pop rivets that would need drilling out to gain access to the cables. As the plate looks like it has never been removed, i doubt if the governor has been messed with.

Have you actually tried slowly pushing the pedal and listening for the switch activating before the throttle starts to open? and making sure that the throttle is actually fully closed when the pedal is up? if all this is correct then you will not need to get to the cables yet as your problem is likely elsewhere.

Tags
2003 txt gas ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO