lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Question 81 DS Resistor Coils Speed Steps

I recently purchased a 81 Club Car DS resistor coil cart. I am have a good understanding of the role the pedal-activated micro switches activate each solenoid to select a "speed", but when I got it, it had one forward/reverse speed. My questions with this system are:

How many "speeds" should it have?

What solenoids should activate at each throttle position?

I assume the further you press the throttle, the fewer resistor coils carry the current, but should a full throttle acivate only the master solenoid and solenoid 4(I number them Master, 1, 2, 3, 4 - right to left) or should all the solenoids be activated at full throttle?

If there is a definitive thread on this subject, my search skills were unable to find it. A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
~crowley
crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 81 DS Resistor Coils Speed Steps

First, Welcome to BGW!

You have the basics down, so i'll give you a quick run through. The cart has 5 solenoids and four speeds.

Solenoids are from LEFT to RIGHT (DRIVER'S side to PASSENGER'S side) and are Master, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Click one, master engaging - cart will not move
Click two, solenoid two engaging - cart will move
Click three, solenoid three engaging - cart will move faster
Click four, solenoid four engaging - cart will move even faster
Click five, solenoid five engaging - cart will move now at top speed.

*List goes from pedal up > clicks 1-5 > pedal on the floor

The more solenoids that are engaged the less coils that are used to burn off energy as heat, therefore increasing speed.

These carts have a pretty bulletproof system, and they're easy to troubleshoot when something goes wrong. If you've only got one speed, then I'd suggest first off counting the number of clicks you're hearing from the solenoids, you should hear five and get a noticeable speed increase from each of the last four clicks. The solenoids are where I'd start, the microswitches CAN go bad, but I've seen more solenoids fail on these than I have microswitches. After 33 years those solenoids are going to be brittle and getting worn, I've seen the posts on them break out because of a stick or something coming back and literally shattering the brittle old bakelite housing. You should also make sure your coils aren't touching and aren't rusted in two (I've seen it). Do this when the cart hasn't been run in a while, those coils get HOT during operation.

Hope this helps, ask any questions you need to and we'll be sure to try and help you troubleshoot your cart as much as we can. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. I have fiddled a bit with the solenoids trying to make certain they are all activating as they should. All of my coils are very sturdy and quite clean. I think I have no worries there. I will have to monkey with the throttle and microswitches to get them in fine working order.

Currently, I direct wired the master and solenoid 2 to trigger at the same time. To me it seemed odd to get a micro and solenoid to trigger and not get any movement out of the cart. It seemed that they first click should activate the circuit and engage first speed. Any thoughts on why this is not the proper way?

The second click, does nothing, as it is already in first speed. Next micro/solenoid triggered, the torque really kicks in and will spin the tires and snap your head back. The last noticeable speed change is very minor, it may be the top speed. I am not sure. Five solenoids and four speeds make perfect sense. I just have to get it all ticking along as the throttle is pressed.

I should probably get the brakes fixed before getting too much speed out of it. The Fred Flintstone method is a bit lacking in safety, but has a surplus of hilarity.

Even in it's current state, it made a fine whitetail recovery vehicle this past weekend and my kids will love it around the house.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I'm sure the Fred Flintstone method is a hoot to watch, but believe me, it gets old the first time you forget the brakes don't work right.

As to how it is moving, I really don't know - I suggest looking at the wiring diagram and making sure everything is wired like it shows. That's the first place to start, then troubleshooting by conventional methods can start.

Here's the diagram for your cart:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...e528185if2.jpg

as well as the solenoid wiring:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...6solenofh6.jpg

Hope this helps!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley View Post
Thanks for the reply. Very informative. I have fiddled a bit with the solenoids trying to make certain they are all activating as they should. All of my coils are very sturdy and quite clean. I think I have no worries there. I will have to monkey with the throttle and microswitches to get them in fine working order.

Currently, I direct wired the master and solenoid 2 to trigger at the same time. To me it seemed odd to get a micro and solenoid to trigger and not get any movement out of the cart. It seemed that they first click should activate the circuit and engage first speed. Any thoughts on why this is not the proper way?

The second click, does nothing, as it is already in first speed. Next micro/solenoid triggered, the torque really kicks in and will spin the tires and snap your head back. The last noticeable speed change is very minor, it may be the top speed. I am not sure. Five solenoids and four speeds make perfect sense. I just have to get it all ticking along as the throttle is pressed.

I should probably get the brakes fixed before getting too much speed out of it. The Fred Flintstone method is a bit lacking in safety, but has a surplus of hilarity.

Even in it's current state, it made a fine whitetail recovery vehicle this past weekend and my kids will love it around the house.
Are all the solenoids the same? I will guess that the master may be heavier than the rest. It is a safety feature to ensure all power is turned off when the pedal is up. We have a V-Glide cart that doesn't use the first couple of contacts as the pedal is pushed. When the solenoid is engaged the first resistor is wired directly! I don't know the reason for this either. I would think it would be connected to the wiper contacts. CC had a reason for this method of operation. Maybe someone else will know!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
crowley
Not Yet Wild

All the solenoids are exactly the same.

Not real sure what the purpose of triggering only the master solenoid and not any of the speed coils. I'll have to trust CC and run it that way.

I am going to add a power guage and a lock-out switch for the higher speeds (kid-friendly). With the lock-out, I think I should be able to wire in a second 36v ignition-type switch to interrupt the circuits that turn on the high speed coils, requiring a key to turn them on.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowley View Post
All the solenoids are exactly the same.

Not real sure what the purpose of triggering only the master solenoid and not any of the speed coils. I'll have to trust CC and run it that way.

I am going to add a power guage and a lock-out switch for the higher speeds (kid-friendly). With the lock-out, I think I should be able to wire in a second 36v ignition-type switch to interrupt the circuits that turn on the high speed coils, requiring a key to turn them on.
You may overheat the resistors doing that. Full speed shunts around the resistors so they are not in the circuit at all. This is where a controller cart excels. You can run slowly and not have to worry about hot resistors! My opinion is (and it's only my opinion), that the resistor carts were made for pretty much golf, where you go 100yds then stop for several minutes or so. This lets the resistors cool off. Running the cart full speed is fine. In fact there is no difference in performance in a resistor cart and a controller cart when in full speed!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car, club, coil, resistor, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car