lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 97 CC Losing Power

Hey Modified CC Guys,
I am having problems with my system and need suggestions on a fix:

97 CC 48V Series lifted hunting buggy (July 2013)

#4 cables (August 2013)
Alltrax 500 amp controller pkg (August 2013)
HD Solenoid & F/R (August 2013)
(All of the above electronics purchased as pkg from site sponsor)

All 6 8v batteries (November 2013)
D&D speed/torque motor (December 2013) (site sponsor)
PowerDrive Charger checked out by pro service (January 2014)

Ok, with that background, there are 2 issues with charging the system that seem to be related.
Issue #1:
Since purchasing the cart in July, when I charge the cart for 12-18 hours, the charger will usually remain at the 15-20amps level without moving. Having read the threads related to the OBC, I have disconnected the cables to reset the OBC. After reconnecting the batteries and upon charging, the charger will cycle back down to 0-5amps on the 1st charge, then return to the constant 15-20 amp position on subsequent charges. I have checked each battery individually after charging; the #5 &#6 batteries (on the passenger side) are inconsistent with the other 4 (6-7 volts on 5&6 vs. 8-9 volts on 1-4). I would think that the obc is failing before the charger reaches those last 2 batteries. My cart service pro has checked out the charger as fine, so at this point, I am leaning towards taking the cart in for professional service. What say you?

Issue #2:
I believe that this issue is related to issue #1. After an overnight charge, the cart will run as it should for 5-20 minutes, depending on the terrain and load. It will run at up to full speed & power, then gradually slow to a stop with no power. During this run time, the analog power meter will show 3/4 power at baseline, falling to below 50% on acceleration and falling to below zero when it comes to dead. Once it fails, if I rest the cart for 20-30 minutes, it will run for a short period afterwards. This issue has surfaced since installing the D&D motor in December, but I cannot draw it directly back to a motor issue, as it performs as it should, albeit for a very short drive. I will say that the run time is decreasing each time I take it for a drive. Once again, what say you?
Big Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: 97 CC Losing Power

sounds like a battery issue to me. What are the actual readings of each battery?
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

batteries are new, I even returned the #5 & #6 batteries that read sub-8v after the 1st run. those too are now sub-8v, while the 1-4 batteries are 8v+...
Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the new #4 gauge cable still goes thru the OBC and that the charger socket is connected to the main pack positive, meaning you are actually charging all 6 batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

What are the ACTUAL readings. It def sounds like a battery issue. 8.07 volts is 50 percent. Do you have any accessories running on those two batts only?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the reading for the whole pack?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SOC Batts.pdf (71.3 KB, 0 views)
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm with Sergio on this one. Chargers don't charge from right-to-left or vice versa. They charge the whole pack simultaneously. I think your *new* battery pack is wired wrong, and at least one (if not two) batteries aren't even getting charged at all. Your basically running on 4 or maybe 5 batteries. Thus the short run times - and the reason why you replaced #5 & 6 already.

Look at any 48v manual in the stickies and the battery wiring/pattern. I'll betcha you've got one or two batteries turned around and are not connecting the pos. from one battery to the neg. on the next battery (and so on).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sergio & Joesam,
I took a closer look at my connections & realized that the positive lead from the charger group was connected to #4 instead of #6. I probably did that when I replaced the battery pack in November. Corrected & now back on charger. Now my question is about the life of #5&6.
Prior to correcting & charge, batteries 1-4 were at or close to 100%. My multimeter is analog not digital, but it read halfway between 8&9v. The bad news is that #5&6 read at about 7v each.
When I connected the charger after correcting the positive lead, the charger meter went to about 8 amps & is now at about 2 amps, 15 hours into the charge.
What does that suggest?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Let the charger cycle. It might take a few charges to balance the pack back out. You can bump those 2 up with a 12v charger as well, just dont leave it on too long - 15 to 20 mins max.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ditto sunoco - a little half hour boost with 12v (@ 2amps or less) on each of those abandoned batteries - prior to charging the whole pack - is a good way to get them recovered and in-step with the others. Two or three repetitions of that process oughta do it.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car