lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
Halfbreed II
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Talking Big Block swap

I am have my 2000 club Car in the process of a 'Body Off' restoration. I bought it new and had a pick-up bed installed. The Cart is in good shape [95 hrs], just boring. It is in a family owned Custom Golf Cart shop. They do good work but I am supplying the Engine and Torque Converter. I have chosen the Honda GX 670cc V-Twin rated 24HP @3600rpm /W 33.9 ft/lbs of torque. It will replace the 9HP 'cow' engine that only has 95 hours on it and was set @2450 =11mph. The dealer I bought it from, ordered it for a local business that went out of business. I am a Retired, Disabled CUMMINS ENGINE DEALER so I am confident the finished product will be satisfactory. The engine supplier will provide the correct [well almost] COMET torque converter and belt.The 'Shop' will do the 'Body Off' work, painting, lift kit and upholstery and wiring. I am an ex drag racer and also have a friend who is service manager at the local JOHN DEERE DEALERSHIP. He offered his expertise on any routine technical glitches. I have a 2008 'COMPACT GATOR' that has very similar drive train. When I am done with this thing it will start with the key switch and idle in neutral. It will get the JOHN DEERE paint scheme and decals + a 'Drag Car' look. I was just wondering if you Golf Cart 'GEAR HEADS' out there see any LANDMINES or PIT-FALLS we may run in to like gear ratio and tires and suspension. We are aware of CW vs CCW rotation issue.
Halfbreed II
Port Richey, FL
Halfbreed II is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Big Block swap

It sounds to me like you have it well handled. I can tell you this, you won't be able to get the smile off your face for hours after you drive it!!

Would love to see some photos along the way if that's possible.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds great, looking forword to seeing it ,GOOD LUCK
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Halfbreed II
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for response folks, I hope things go as well as I hoped. The Custom Cart Shop I dropped the CC off last tuesday hasn't touched it yet. There lead mechanic/Son 'had personal problems' and wasn't at work. I told them to
install the new battery I had asked for and would pick it back up tomorrow. I had already asked if they could get to it this week and I got that 'famous' blank stare. An hour earlier the HONDA DISTRIBUTOR told me the GX 670cc engine was out of stock. I had only gotten a price from them two weeks before but didn't leave a deposit. The sales Rep is a straight shooter and offered me a GX 610cc for $200.00 less, I told him I would wait the estimated 3 to 5 weeks for the GX 670 and he took a check for $100.00 to hold it and gave me another $100.00 discount for a total of $1.100.00+tax. I stopped by another Golf Cart/Battery Dealer and he gave me a great price to pull off the entire body and pick-up bed, strip off all the 'stuff'' and send it out for the paint work. He wont do an engine/converter conversion but will do the lift kit and tire set up so it will accept it. He has three mechanics and they are very slow and said he would 'turn his back' if they want the work. I have known him a long time, He over 70 years old and doesn't want the responsibility. I have handled these situations many times in my own Dealership. They can do it on a weekend at the Marina next to my Condo. The GM and I are good Buds
and boating in this economy hurting. Gas on the waterfront is $5.25 a gallon.
I will make this happen one way or the other.

Halfbreed II
Halfbreed II is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car