lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Project, I'm addicted :o

Hi I am new to this site. I Purchased a 1989 G1 about 2 weeks ago for 80 dollars, and ive been messing with it everyday as soon as I get home till I go to sleep, lol.. The guy who sold it to me thought it didnt run, and hes a mechanic, I got it running in 1 night, hehe, just cleaned the carb out real good.
____
It is missing some parts that I need badly to get it running right. The most important peice is the top to the airbox and the clips and everything, for some reason someone put a dish sponge in the air filters place and left the top of the box off...... making it run lean, and tbh I dont really wanna drive it without it getting clean air into the motor with a proper air fuel mixture.

I know alot of people with G1s switch to a k&n filter and dont use the stock box anymore, I was wondering if I can purchase one from someone if anyone has one they are not using? Or maybe have another way i can ghetto rig the filter I just bought? I was gonna go with the k&n and get a bigger jet but for now I want to get it stock as far as fuel and air go. I already have a tune up kit otw for it, filter, plug, fuel filter, and filter prefoam.

I live in Peachtree City and I wanna take her out like.. everyday, the golf cart paths are very fun to cruise.
____
Couple problems with it:

It bogs up hill, I think I have it figured out with the air box thing but not sure. Compression is 100(tested with 2 different gauges). The belt is a little worn out but Im ordering the Power Kit from ccp with the sheave and belt tomorrow,

I am having trouble starting it after I stop driving, warm or cold. It push starts though.. Im thinking its a problem with the air mix, when the cart is moving though, it Moves, about 21mph maybe 22mph on flat ground. What can be some other reasons for the starting issue? By the way the choke cable wasnt attached and its not stock and binds a little bit, a new one should be at my house today. Im still able to choke it though, after I reattached it of course. :P
____
When I got it I drained the fuel and replaced it. I still have to check the drive clutch for debris and whatnot but im doing that soon, Im sure thats not a big issue for me.. I also screwed the gov screw in all the way, prob will bypass it if I can get her goin good. Id like to see 25mph maybe 26mph stock, I think I can do eet!
____
If anyone could help with these problems I would appreciate it sooooooo much. I'm like a crack addict with this cart Im a Auto Mechanic but im Brand Spankin new to 2 strokes, I have already read a TON of threads about g1s which has helped tremendously! I love this forum!

I will post pics of Shelly(yep, her name is Shelly) when I get home tonight, shes not bad lookin :)

Thank you ahead of time,
Garrett
Mrrogers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Project, I'm addicted :o

Oh and I know I can get the box top from boswellgolf.com but i dont wanna spent 62 dollars on a air box top and clips, I cant seem to find one anywhere else, I saw them on TNT before they started Bulldozing their site...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Are there any dealers around you, call them about used parts, or other cart junkyards. Look on the sale ads here some parts are for sale. Bad belt can make it bog at takeoff or say <5mph under high load. Clean the clutches get your airbox right and sealed, tune up, then see where you are at. I would not put any modified parts on it until you did that. The belts are junk at 1" wide or less.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

indeed, Im not going to modify till I know where Im at with it. The belt is just slightly over 1" and tiny bit frayed on the edges. I know that the clutches operate correctly as i jacked the rear end and checked. but i will take the cover off and clean and very lightly lube it as i have read.

Oh i almost forgot there is a little spring on the shaft that connects to the exhaust port, a little hole in the shaft where the spring goes, where does the other side of the spring go? I cant find anything on the cart that it would connect to or any pics or posts on it.. is it even important? what is its purpose?

Edit: and there are tons of dealers around here, Its like Golf cart heaven here in Peachtree City, Ill look into it. But I have never heard of a cart junk yard, Ill try to see if i can locate one

Edit again...: I know im getting ahead of myself but I swear when Im away from my cart I get a twitch, lol, I love messing with it. Anyways, I want to paint the body black, what kind of paint should I use? Id like to find something cheap but awesome. Someone rivited in diamond plate all around the cart which is going to make that difficult but whatev, I really dont want to drill out all of those rivits..
They also installed a brake light kit which is not hooked up, it has dual filiment bulbs as i see they intended on having brake lights and maybe turn signals, I saw a post about installing a brake switch for that purpose but i cant find it again... I would like to complete that part of thier project.

Last edited by Mrrogers24; 03-08-2012 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Reason in post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Welcome to the golf car "nut house" Do you know the serial number of your car? 100 lbs compression is at the low end for 1979 to 1981 and 1983 to 1986. J17's/1982 models (had a low compression engine) so minimum would be 90 lbs to run. If good compression for year of car and have to choke to run crank seals would be my guess. The exhaust linkage is to gain some lower end torque, by parcialy closeing off the exhaust. The small spring would be attatched to the exhaust linkage rod and then to the muffler spring mount.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

J31149747
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Some pics, doing crank seals tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23_18-03-11_947.jpg (308.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-13_17-52-50_369.jpg (208.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-13_17-51-57_436.jpg (69.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-23_18-02-56_137.jpg (207.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Update: Did crank seals yesterday, now it starts right up, Yay! Still waiting for the air box but should be here in a couple days. I made a temp filter and it no longer bogs at all :) I also replaced the rubber seal from the carb to the head cuz it was cracking. Next Is paint, what kind should I use? I want it black with gloss finish.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice clean cart.. Try summit racing they have a single stage paint everything you need for a $130.00..
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
Mrrogers24
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well OK. Cart engine Is now completely stock aside from no more oil injection, and no more exhaust valve, also the governor is turned up with a longer screw.. I just hit 28 mph downhill today, goes about 16 to 19 uphill and 21-24 on flat ground.

Now Id like to try to bring those numbers a bit closer together. My clutch does make a bit of a squeak at low speeds even after a couple of days after I clean and lubed it. That is going to be my next purchase: an updated primary clutch.

Anyone know what my problem could be? I almost might not even say its a problem but, on a really steep hill it does take a bit to build the rpm.. I wonder if it its my clutch, it doesn't seem to be sticking out anything.

Oh, also my secondary clutch does not have a zerk fitting, ice been lightly lubing the shaft and it seems to be OK, how else should I be maintaining the secondary?

It is 1000 times better than when I got it though, I never did the power kit, I've been basically making it as stock as possible. Did the throttle shaft repair with good success, crank seals, tune up, installed all the missing parts and it does run very well, and as far as I've read, 28mph is pretty **** good for a stock g1.

Id like to have about 24mph top speed if I could have it drive uphill like it does on flat ground, I'm not sure its possible but I hope someone knows if it is.

I am also still looking for a front cowl and the roof that doesn't require the front supports, lemme know if you have that stuff

Last edited by Mrrogers24; 05-18-2012 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Stuff

Tags
air filter, airbox, project, yamaha gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha