lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '08 CC Precedent Won't Start

Hi All, my '08 CC Precedent gas with FE350 engine died on my wife the other day in our neighborhood. It was running fine and then at one point she came to a complete stop and the engine shut off, but when she pressed on the accelerator pedal it wouldn't restart.

I checked battery voltage and verified that the solenoid clicks when the pedal is pressed. The battery voltage as it sits is a little over 12.8V.

I tried rotating the engine clutch by hand and then trying to start, but no dice. This morning I removed the starter generator to bench test it. I used my jumper cables to jump from the positive battery terminal to the F2 terminal on the starter that the red cable had been on. I then connected the ground terminal A2 (leaving the short jumper between F1 & A1 terminals on the starter untouched) to ground on the frame with the key on (it's CW rotation on my cart). Nothing.

I verified that the voltage was 12.8V between the positive and negative ends of the jumper cables at the starter generator. At this point I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I order a replacement as they aren't cheap, and there is a lot of conflicting information about how frequently no-start issues are actually due to the starter generator.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it worth rebuilding a starter or better to just replace it completely? With the P/Ns and decals on the starter, it appears to be the original OEM part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STARTER.jpg (147.2 KB, 0 views)
young_pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
young_pup
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '08 CC Precedent Won't Start

Update-

I removed the rubber dust covers on the starter generator and lots of chunks of carbon and carbon dust came out. Tapped it around the edge of the back and was able to remove the rear cover.

The brushes are toast. The springs that press them against the armature are bottomed out completely against the retention frame, and the brushes are just peaking past the frame bottoms. The thing that concerns me is the armature itself.

I watched videos online of burned motors, and this doesn't look like that, but it is smooth except for one commutator bar that is lifted slightly on the end and is slightly raised from the ones around it.

Is that a problem? can I just sand that one spot smooth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armature.jpg (141.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg brushes.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)
young_pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car