lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
7milesout
Not Yet Wild

Default 1 Start then stays ON!

Well - If this feature already exists, I apologize. I don't know what it's called, so I haven't been able to search it.

I'm on the hunt for a nice PTV with the quietech, and have drove a few around. I'm used to an electric and do not like it when the engine turns off when stopped.

What I would like to do is this, and you guys let me know if it exists already.

It would be great if, I can turn the switch to ON, and once the engine is cranked by pushing the gas pedal, the engine will not turn off again until the switch is turned off.

When I come to a stop, it would just sit there and put-put-put-put-put and wait for me to gas it. Because stopping in PTC is rather frequent. And all this on-off-on jazz is going to get old.

Has this already been figured out?

7milesout
7milesout is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1 Start then stays ON!

If you are asking about yamaha g1. Unplug the black/white wire.to the cdi.
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
7milesout
Not Yet Wild

No, I'm asking on a brand new PTV, gas. A 2020.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The reason these carts don't operate in this way is because the starter/generator doesn't start to charge to battery until a certain RPM range is met. A normal automobile or side by side runs off of an alternator once the vehicle is started and charges constantly...If you wire a stock Drive2 PTV this way the battery will constantly die from lack of sufficient charge.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
7milesout
Not Yet Wild

Hmmmmm - An interesting reply. I'm going to have to say while I assume your post is 100% correct, the AMOUNT of time idling while sitting still would not be very much. But the amount of TIMES this change would prevent the engine from turning off would be a decent amount.

There's that factor and the factor that I don't see how idling the engine while stopped for 1 to 5 seconds at a time would cause any greater battery discharge than would having to operate the starter to crank the engine in the same number of instances.

I hope that made sense...

And it's beginning to sound like no one has done such a thing on a PTV gas.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am actually a Yamaha dealer...The reason I get this question a lot is people want this option to hook a sprayer up to the back of their carts to drive constantly without the one and off constantly such as yourself and I always end up having to trickle charge their battery back up when it stops running. Another example of this is when we rent carts to people using them in parades, they are driving them at such slow speeds trying to keep them from cutting off that it kills the battery so to lack of RPMs to put a charge into the system...Not implying it can’t be done by any means, just sharing my experience in this way of operating these carts ;)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #7
7milesout
Not Yet Wild

You're feedback is much appreciated. I haven't purchased my cart yet. I'm working with a local dealer. I'm a man of questions. He just wants to flash up sparkly add-ons hold out the pen for a signature. If you want to entertain my forthcoming purchase, I see no harm with it. We can take it offline.

I am interested in the following mods, I will probably do myself. I am a mechanical design engineer having worked for Toyota and Hyundai-Kia, holding patents at both. I am decently hands on with not only performing mods, but conceiving an idea of what I want and figuring it out. I am even a vendor on a forum and I sell a particular automotive customization component. That said not to thump my chest, but to make it clear that I'm capable of taking care of my own equipment and resulting problems.

I'm fairly certain I can create the 1 Start and Stay On mod on my own, but haven't yet bought a (new) golf car. I have an ole crusty electric one at home, looking to replace it and go gas.

I'm also going to want to put brakes on the front, disconnect the rear brakes, and up the hp so my Yamaha Drive2 gasser can do burnouts!

Ok, I actually think that would be cool, but I'm not going to go that far. However, I would like to make it run with ole crusty (my electric). My electric smokes most every cart around (OEM motor too). The feel of a governor equipped ride is so annoying to me. I would prefer to govern the speed with my right foot paired with floating valves. Pipe dream likely. I don't plan on taking a brand new Drive2 PTV and turning it into a dragster. I'll want as much warranty coverage as I can get for as long as I can get it. But after warranty, a man can dream...

7milesout
Old 08-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I understand...I was hoping someone else would chime in as well with ideas by now...Here's the simple answer I guess... Yamahas have a stop switch under the pedal that activates the solenoid and makes the cart shut down once pedal is released...simply bypassing this switch would cause cart to idle as soon as key switch is turned to on position which would do what you are asking...however would not operate with pedal, only key switch when turned on or off...but essentially be the same thing I suppose. I Don't recommend this method of course because it Bypasses a safety on the cart though and you may have to idle cart down so it doesn't move until pedal reaches a certain point. Not sure if that helps at all but its a start on why the cart doesn't idle if nothing else..I have to replace those stop switches all the time because they cause the idle all the time issue lol...ironic I suppose..
Old 08-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
7milesout
Not Yet Wild

camaroluvz28 - I figured it would be as simple as that. Granted I didn't mess with the 2021 Yama Gasser I drove much, but I messed with it enough that I believe that with the engine at its lowest idle, if you don't hold the brake pedal, it will creep forward (in F).

But what's the difference between that and a 3,500 pound car? I have a fleet of cars. And this is the way the automatics work. I have to hold the brake pedal to keep them stopped. As soon as the brakes are released, the car creeps forward before I can even get my foot on the gas and push.

So this mod should not be a problem with safety or driveability. It should be more like a car than it is when it turns off at a stop.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your Welcome
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha