lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Cart has no power

If you have the clutch removal tool, sure. You can check it out if you already have the motor out. Wouldn't hurt to check and make sure any of your gears aren't damaged.

The tappet caps come in 5 different sizes and are available through Golf Cart Parts Direct. You have to measure the valve clearance with a feeler gauge between the caps and the valves at TDC on the compression stroke. Should be between .004" and .008".
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. We are pulling the engine. Not what I wanted to do. I'll let you know what we find.
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE
So we pulled the engine. When we opened the cover to the valves we found that somehow the tappet caps came off. When we pulled the head, one was there the other is missing, maybe at the bottom of the engine. Our next adventure is to pull the clutch. Maybe we can see the bottom and find the tappet cap. Any idea why they came off?
Old 08-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I would have to imagine that the caps would have somehow come off during re-assembly. The caps have narrow stems on the bottom that go down about 1/8" down into corresponding holes in the top of the tappets, and the clearance during normal operation is very tight, too tight to allow the caps to pop off. Unless maybe your valve(s) got stuck open at some point and that's when they came off?

Drive clutch removal is pretty easy with the clutch tool and a few quick raps of an air impact gun.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again for your help. Got the side cover off and the gears look good. The tappet cap was in the bottom of the engine. I wish I knew how they came off. Waiting for the new gaskets.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #16
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

We're waiting for the side gasket. It seemed the gap was way big before we put the side cover on.

Last edited by hotdog; 08-24-2020 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Wrong info
Old 08-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

OK, So we got the engine back together. We have a .004 gap on the intake and about .012 on the exhaust. What do you think? You said the gap should be between .004 and .008.Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yeah that exhaust gap should be closed a little. It may still run fine, but you may have a noise that sounds kind of like an exhaust gasket leak. If you want to fix it to be smooth and quiet you can order the tappet caps from Golf Cart Parts Direct. You can put the motor back in and still change out the tappet caps while the motor is installed. If you do plan to order and change out the tappet caps but you'd still like to get the motor in to see how it runs, it's much easier to get in there to change caps at the front of the motor while the body is off. I use needle nose pliers to remove the old caps and then alligator clips to hold the new caps and install them.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's the page that shows the tappet caps:

https://golfcartpartsdirect.com/Category/58
Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
hotdog
Not Yet Wild

We never took the body off. How would I know which cap to get?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car