lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
delap009
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 Par Car loss of reverse

My 1993 Par Car was converted to two four post solenoids to do away with the key switch which is hard to find a quality replacement. The cart has been running fine for eight years since the conversion. We were driving into the cart shed and switched the key into reverse and boom no reverse. We pushed it back into the stall and left. When we went golfing the next time the cart wouldn't run. We took it home and tried to test the electical path and couldn't get 12v across the main solenoid that goes to the starter generator. So I got another solenoid and swapped it out. I immediately regained running in forward position. The starter struggled a little so I went and picked up a new battery to replace the nine year old battery. But no run in reverse.

I figured the solenoid on the reverse side of the circuit went bad, we tried testing but we were getting odd voltages across that solenoid, so we picked up another cole hersee solenoid and swapped it out to no avail. We switched the lead from the forward A2 post to the A1 post and then hit the gas in forward and the wheels ran in the reverse direction.

So to me that is saying the starter generator is OK and it has to do with the reverse circuit and solenoid but that was the new solenoid. The only other thing involved in these circuits is a voltage regulator that is mounted with a bolt that passes through the main solenoid that allows energy to the starter generator when the micro switch is pressed. Does that voltage regulator have to be mounted in a specific way to work correctly, I thought I put it back the way it came off. Can a voltage regulator go bad and cause reverse to be messed up. I swear the lead gets really hot when you run the motor in forward, with everything wired the way that it had been for the past 8 years.

Could a bad voltage regulator also make a battery go bad. I have not pulled the starter generator and done a bench test to see if it is working properly. I didn't think a starter generator could go bad in a way that forward would work and reverse would not. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
delap009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1993 Par Car loss of reverse

"were getting odd voltages across that solenoid"

This is suspect. You should be getting battery voltage at this point with no fluctuations whatsoever. Those solenoids need 10 to 12v to close so if you are seeing less than than then the solenoid won't click. When you are trying to start in reverse, are you hearing the solenoid click?

With regard to the VR, the cart's charging circuit is pretty much completely separate from the starting circuit. Really, you should be able to remove the VR altogether and the cart will still run, albeit without charging the battery.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
delap009
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1993 Par Car loss of reverse

I think my course of action is going to be switch the working solenoid to the non working side to see if it works. The original install we had issues with a bad new solenoid. Now that I know the voltage regulator has nothing to do with it, I can focus on the reverse side of the wiring. I can also test while each solenoid unwired to compare.
delap009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar