lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Robbin EH29C broken rod - Do I need a full Rebuild kit?

Hello,
I have a 1999 EZGO TXT, EH29c with one broken rod.
I have another post looking for options on a cart rebuild with big block, but in the mean time, I pulled the stock engine apart to evaluate the cause and overall damage. It appears a con rod bolt came loose, dropped out, the other one broke and snapped the rod. Crank rod bearing surface appears to be in good condition, no other internal damage is apparent...the crank still turns, and other piston seems to work fine. I'd like to get this motor working again...any reason to replace the good con rod? What about seals and gaskets? Do I really need the whole rebuild kit, or can I get away with just the con rod and a head gasket? Any other "must replace" items? I still need to pull the clutch off the crank shaft, and disassemble the valve train and head, and will put calipers on the valve components and crank consistent with the engine manual, check the valves out, etc. Also, anyone use the aftermarket ebay rebuild kits? Any problems with them? Seems everyone here recommends OEM rods, who makes a kit with OEM rods?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Robbin EH29C broken rod - Do I need a full Rebuild kit?

Told you the bolt came loose from the rod cap :) I've seen it many times.

I'd measure cylinder bores and ring end gap to make sure they're still in spec. If so, replace the rod and gaskets. I'd also recommend checking and probably replacing the intake valves while its already apart.

I doubt you're going to find OEM rods, pistons, or rings anymore. Aftermarket is about all you've got. And 95% of the aftermarket stuff on ebay is all Nivel regardless of source, seller, or price.

You've got a good plan though. Take it all apart and measure everything. Replace what's worn or out of spec and put it back together. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Note, there is a small o ring near the top right corner where the engine case side cover bolts on. As long as it's not damaged or destroyed, reuse it. The ones in the kits never fit right. Same with the oil pump cover. Those are finicky suckers. Make sure its completely flat and reuse that o ring also. Aftermarkets don't fit right. And DEFINITELY replace the big square-ish gasket behind the camshaft cap cover. Those will leak every single time you take them off, even if they look good.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The OEM rods are still available with bolts. They are high but that's all I use.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks CP,
My buddy, a golf course superintendent said the same thing...likely a rod bolt came loose. Crazy how it can unthread itself, and not put a hole in the bottom of the case.

That's the info I was looking for...not the answer I wanted. Didn't want to spend several hundred on a motor that likely won't be in the cart for too long. Sounds like best to just bite the bullet, and pick up the rebuild kit with all gaskets, rods, pistons, valves, rings, etc. Since I will probably pull the motor eventually and redneck the machine up a bit with a big block, this motor will likely get sold...probably should build it back right so I feel better about selling it later.

Gotta get that clutch off first so I can pull the timing cover, valve train, head, etc. to see what else I am gonna need for the full rebuild...where do I find a 3/4" fine thread bolt? No fastener places near by...hour away at the closest...long way for a bolt. Do you know what the thread pitch is on the threads at the outer most face of the clutch? It looks like it would come off easy with a bold and some oil in the hole as a hydraulic press. Likely have to order one just to get the clutch off, and would hate to order and it not fit. Seems odd that it would be 3/4" with everything on the machine metric. Possibly 19 mm?
Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pieces! Destroyed that rod. I guess there is room in the bottom of the case for the bolt to drop out without hitting. Not sure why the photo came in upside down though.

Trig, do you buy them direct from an EZGO dealer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200723_225634.jpg (148.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200723_224904.jpg (143.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
Thanks CP,
My buddy, a golf course superintendent said the same thing...likely a rod bolt came loose. Crazy how it can unthread itself, and not put a hole in the bottom of the case.

That's the info I was looking for...not the answer I wanted. Didn't want to spend several hundred on a motor that likely won't be in the cart for too long. Sounds like best to just bite the bullet, and pick up the rebuild kit with all gaskets, rods, pistons, valves, rings, etc. Since I will probably pull the motor eventually and redneck the machine up a bit with a big block, this motor will likely get sold...probably should build it back right so I feel better about selling it later.

Gotta get that clutch off first so I can pull the timing cover, valve train, head, etc. to see what else I am gonna need for the full rebuild...where do I find a 3/4" fine thread bolt? No fastener places near by...hour away at the closest...long way for a bolt. Do you know what the thread pitch is on the threads at the outer most face of the clutch? It looks like it would come off easy with a bold and some oil in the hole as a hydraulic press. Likely have to order one just to get the clutch off, and would hate to order and it not fit. Seems odd that it would be 3/4" with everything on the machine metric. Possibly 19 mm?
They are 3/4 SAE bolts 16 threads per inch. I use a bolt 2 inches long threaded all the way and then I use a piece of 5/8th cold rolled steel four inches long. Get at least a grade 5 bolt. I use an impact wrench and they come right off. You could always buy the puller online if you can't find the bolt local
Old 07-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
The OEM rods are still available with bolts. They are high but that's all I use.
Good to know. I've been told by more than 1 dealer now that piston rings are discontinued. I assumed rods were also.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
... You could always buy the puller online if you can't find the bolt local
Not for $40

Thanks for the info on the bolt though...$15 for 5 at Amazon...I'm going to look around for better price, and maybe only one bolt...but it beats $35 and $40.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Tractor supply usually has a good selection of stuff like that.

I would recommend at least grade 8 for the bolt and the rod. You can use a long grade 8 bolt and cut the head off. Just dont use soft steel, if the clutch is really on there (and many times they are) softer steel will mushroom inside the end of the crankshaft and then you're really gonna be cussing.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Tractor supply usually has a good selection of stuff like that.

I would recommend at least grade 8 for the bolt and the rod. You can use a long grade 8 bolt and cut the head off. Just dont use soft steel, if the clutch is really on there (and many times they are) softer steel will mushroom inside the end of the crankshaft and then you're really gonna be cussing.
I often think of the mushroom but I just go ahead and pull the trigger on my air wrench. I guess I am trigger happy
I have probably pulled off 20 using this method and never once had an issue . Hope I don't but the best way is with a puller which I refuse to buy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO