lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default My 96 Club Car DS Adventure

I wanted to finally get around to documenting my golf cart adventure. I should have done this as I was going, but I had a deadline to get this thing at least usable by the 4th of July weekend. So I spent more time reading and texting Dave at Revolution Golf Cars than I did posting.

This all started when the wife and I decided to put our camper in a seasonal spot. We put the deposit down on the site and on the way home, I joking said "You know we have to get a golf cart now, right?" I look over at her and she looks up from her phone and says..... "I'm already looking!" She wasn't joking, for the next few days, she kept sending me links to carts. They needed this or that or they just needed new batteries. I saw a couple of carts being sold by a guy I knew that I completely forgot had a golf cart business. I decided to go buy one from him. When I got there, he talked me out of the gas cart I was going to buy and into an electric one that was in the process of being built. We were waiting on the body to get back from paint to make sure I was going to like the two tone paint that was going to be on it. Well, a few weeks went by and the painter still hadn't come through and one day a cart popped up on Facebook Marketplace that I decided right then and there I was buying because it was cheap and didn't look that bad. It "needed at least 3 batteries" and "comes with decent charger". I contacted the seller, she agreed to hold it till after work the next day. I took my trailer to work with me the next day and left straight from work to pick it up. Of course when I got there, the cart was much rougher than it appeared in pictures and it was obvious that it was more in a state of disrepair than I was led to believe. It was however still not a bad deal compared to other basket cases I had seen for more money. So we struck and deal and I loaded it up.

Upon getting it home, I immediately had trouble getting it off the trailer because I engaged the parking brake and the brakes were now seized up. I finally got it unloaded from the trailer and into the garage. I parked the truck and trailer and went inside to drink my shame away and of course start my research on how to fix it. That evening I found this place.

These are the pics that were posted on FB Marketplace.

What I saw once I got there but already had it in my head that it was coming home with me.

NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: My 96 Club Car DS Adventure

So that evening I Googled "how to test a golf cart without batteries" and that led me here. I read the post about disconnecting the motor, jumpering the terminals and using a battery or jump box. Well, three of the batteries were good and three were busted wide open. So my plan was to just use the jump box. Well, things started off well and then SNAP went one of the field studs. There were enough threads left exposed to get a coupling nut on and use a bolt to hold the wire on. There was life in the motor, but not much. You can see in the bottom left where I attached the nut.

I came here, asked a few questions, put some wiring back where I thought it should go, borrowed 4 brand new 12 volt batteries and tried to see if the anything worked. Survey says......X!!
So I came back here and that's when I found out the 96 was sort of a funky year and if I wanted to get it running again, I needed to contact Dave at Revolution Golf Cars. I looked at his website, got an idea of what I wanted to do and sent him an email. We later spoke on the phone, made a minor adjustment and then I placed my order. It was at this point that I knew I had to gut the cart and get it cleaned up. So I started by pulling the body.

Removed the old batteries, controller, OBC and wiring.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Next, I started cleaning up the chassis.

You can sort of see in this picture that the aluminum angle that forms the battery trays are sort of corroded and one of them actually broke. I later cut those out and put new pieces. I can't seem to find any pictures of that.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Looking good!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #5
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

While I was waiting on parts to come in, I started to address some of the issues with the body. I had decided to use Raptor liner on it because I figured it would be hard to repair it to a state that I felt I would be comfortable spending the time and money to paint it.

I cleaned off all the JB Weld that was used in an attempt to fix the crack. I drilled holes at the ends of the crack to prevent it from going further. Then drilled holes on either side the length of the crack and stitched it together with wire. Using the wire and twisting it together allowed me to pull the edges of the crack together tightly. This picture shows some of the "stitching".

Next, I took wire mesh and used a heat gun to embed it into the plastic on the back side of the crack. This picture just shows the beginning of that process. You can also see the rest of the stitching in this pic.

The next step was to fiberglass over the mesh.

Then I cut off the wire stitching that was on the outside of the body. This left behind what is essentially a staple that is being held in by the mesh and the fiberglass cloth/resin. I hit it with a some 120 grit to take off the rough edges. If you look closely you can see the ends of the wire still embedded in the plastic.

Parts started to trickle in, so the the bodywork got put on hold.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Nice work!

Just curious. Any idea how that happened? Never seen one broken in that spot.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Looking good!
X2
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I was starting to realize that things like tires, wheels, lift kits and other fun stuff were really hard to get because of the virus and the resulting increase is golf cart modifications so I started looking on Craigslist and FB marketplace again. I found a set of wheels and tires pretty cheap. The previous owner lifted his cart and put big wheels and tires on it, then realized it was too tall. He bought these hoping he could lower it back down with the smaller setup and realized it didn't look right at all. Buying these saved me some money on the wheels and tires and also money and time looking for a lift kit. I also planned to redo all the shocks and bushings but it was at this point that I decided I didn't have time to get the parts and install them before the holiday weekend.

I sat the body back on to see how they fit. I was also checking how the batteries fit in the newly welded in battery trays too. Trojan T-875's.

They peak out a little compared to stock.

After some questioning here and some shopping around I decided on my batteries and bought them.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Nice work!

Just curious. Any idea how that happened? Never seen one broken in that spot.
No sir!! I found it sort of odd too, especially since there wasn't any evidence of a point of impact.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Oh yeah, those parts that started trickling in. I did the MCOR4 install first.

I decided it would be easier on the lift.

Then the controller mounting plate which didn't quite fit my 96.

Just required some trimming.

I started running the wiring harness.

Then before I called it a night, I had to see what the controller looked like mounted on there.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides