lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
mallard
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986? columbia parcar wont turn over.

My FIL and I are trying to get an old columbia par car back running. someone wrote 1986 next to the VIN so thats all I have to go on for the year.

all I know about it not working was he thought the key switch was getting hot when it quit running 10+ years ago. It was spinning over in reverse but not forward but now it has quit spinning in both directions.

looking at the wiring diagram two of the big wires were backwards on the switch. we ordered a new switch and no change. I have checked all of the wires and they are hooked up like the wiring diagram shows and all are OHM good. when in forward or reverse the solenoid is clicking and there is 12v at both sides of the solenoid. we also had the starter checked by an alternator shop and they said it looked good. any ideas where to go from here?

thanks for the help!
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1986? columbia parcar wont turn over.

Check out the the testing procedure that is attached.

A couple of things:

When you say you are getting 12v on both sides of the solenoid, hopefully you mean all 4 posts after you hear the solenoid click. That the solenoid is clicking is good as that means you are getting good volts to the small terminals. Make sure that you are also getting 12 volts at the large terminals. Ground your black volt meter lead and touch the red lead to both large solenoid post. Both should have 12v after the solenoid clicks.

If you have 12v on both posts then your issue is from that point forward or back. There isn't much there as those large posts either go to the battery or the key switch via the starter.

Are you sure your battery is good? Even though it might be showing 12v it might not have enough cranking amps to turn things.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing Procedure.pdf (245.9 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
mallard
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Check out the the testing procedure that is attached.

A couple of things:

When you say you are getting 12v on both sides of the solenoid, hopefully you mean all 4 posts after you hear the solenoid click. That the solenoid is clicking is good as that means you are getting good volts to the small terminals. Make sure that you are also getting 12 volts at the large terminals. Ground your black volt meter lead and touch the red lead to both large solenoid post. Both should have 12v after the solenoid clicks.

That is correct, when the solenoid clicks the power is on both sides of the solenoid.

If you have 12v on both posts then your issue is from that point forward or back. There isn't much there as those large posts either go to the battery or the key switch via the starter.

Are you sure your battery is good? Even though it might be showing 12v it might not have enough cranking amps to turn things.

I believe the battery was good, I will throw it on the charger next time i'm down to mess with it. I will also go through the testing procedure some more and bench test both starters we have to verify they work correctly.

I read somewhere where it is possible to have a key switch and then a toggle for reverse and then replace the key switch with two additional solenoids, is this a better setup than the factory key? Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have the factory set up still but only because I haven't had to replace anything yet. The next time I have a key switch go bad (I have three of these casts so it wont take long) I will be replacing it with the 2 solenoid set up. I just think it's more logical and sustainable to have the key switch functionality spread across multiple components rather than all in one as is the case with the OEM key switch.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
mallard
Not Yet Wild

Just an update and a few more questions.

I installed the two solenoids and now it cranks and runs in both forward and reverse. I used the duel switches like shown in the pictures but I think I can go back and wire it like a navigation/anchor switch on a boat with a DPDT switch. this would make up only power to the gas pedal switch. and down would power both the gas pedal switch and the reverse solenoid/horn. center position would be off. I also think I will wire an indicator light to the dash for anytime the switch is in forward or reverse so the kids will remember to turn if off.

now for the new questions.

where the throttle cable connects to the carb, there is another cable that also connects here that runs to the flywheel area on the motor. what does this do? the stop has slid down and the cable doesn't move when the throttle is pressed.

the cart cranks and runs fine except if you barley push the pedal, however if you press the pedal all the way down it backfires like the choke is on but it is not pulled out. is this related to the above cable being miss adjusted?

I ordered some new stops and will get it put on next time I'm down with the cart.

I also have to do a little welding on the exhaust and I think it will be good to go.

one last questions, does everyone leave the oil injection in place or just take it off and premix the fuel? if so what ratio? 40:1, 50:1?

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

where the throttle cable connects to the carb, there is another cable that also connects here that runs to the flywheel area on the motor. what does this do? the stop has slid down and the cable doesn't move when the throttle is pressed.

This drives the oil pump. Personally, I would just snip it off at the carb and pre mix your fuel.

the cart cranks and runs fine except if you barley push the pedal, however if you press the pedal all the way down it backfires like the choke is on but it is not pulled out. is this related to the above cable being miss adjusted?

Unrelated. It sounds like your crank seals need replaced.
I am getting ready to do this on one of my '85s that has the exact same symptoms......inconsistent crankcase vacuum is a likely cause.
I ordered some new stops and will get it put on next time I'm down with the cart.

one last questions, does everyone leave the oil injection in place or just take it off and premix the fuel? if so what ratio? 40:1, 50:1?

Ditch it! I run 85 to 1 (1.5 oz per gallon) as that's what spec is for the earlier HD motors which are close to being the same as the Columbia motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar