lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Controllers- Help me understand these gizmo's

I know some of what the newer Alltrax controllers can do in terms of features, but I have a few questions as to "how" to determine what size controller is needed for a cart application. Frankly, I don't have enough of an understanding to even know what question(s) to ask.....but I'll start here. I appreciate the knowledge that the "smart guys" post here. It's a great place to learn "stuff."

Now, my cart has an Alltrax 4865 controller that is rated (right word?) at 650 amps. During my setup of this controller I pulled the data from a few rides which showed the "maximum" amps that the motor demanded was 300 amps. So, I set my controller maximum output amps to 75%. I believe what this does is set the maximum allowed amp draw from the battery pack to (650 x 75%) = 488 amps.

So.....why did I do this 75% adjustment? I think since my cart draws a maximum of 300amps that if an event occurred that the cart would demand more than 488amps, the controller would limit the draw to the setting of 488amps. In my limited knowledge this would help prevent damage to the battery pack.

Is my thinking correct? Even a little?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
anthonyjcworley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Controllers- Help me understand these gizmo's

If your trial had some uphills than yeah your thinking is sound, that's when a motor pulls the most amps

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
anthonyjcworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!