lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #1
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Arrow My '90 Club Car

Just picked up a new project yesterday. A 1990 gas Club Car. Been sitting outside for about two years, was running regularly until the camshaft broke in the motor. Has a 4" Z-lift upfront, and whoever did the lift didn't flip the leaf spring up over the axle, they just used super-long spring shackles...which look ridiculous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (188.4 KB, 0 views)
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: My '90 Club Car

Her are some more photos. The first one is where the cart sat when I picked it up yesterday. The next three photos are of the cart about 5 years ago in 2012 when it was sitting at one of our campsites. The owner of the campsite was delinquent on payments for a few years, so the cart became the property of our Campground in 2013. It still ran and was used briefly as a maintenance cart in 2014-2015. Not long after that the camshaft inside the motor snapped in half and the cart was parked and stripped.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Anyone have any tips for cleaning the inside of the plastic gas tank? The gas has been sitting in it for two years and I'd really like to clean the inside of the tank of residue. Should I just put some dish washing soap in there and let it sit? Or is there a better way?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Hey spring,

I used "simple green" and it made my gas tank look like new, both on the inside and outside.....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
Hey spring,

I used "simple green" and it made my gas tank look like new, both on the inside and outside.....
Thanks, I used what I think is a pretty similar product, a degreaser called "Purple Power". I dumped about a cup of it into my tank and sloshed it around for a few minutes. Good as new! Doesn't quite look brand new on the outside though, the tank has some scuffs and discoloration (yellowing) that I don't think I'll be able to get rid of.

I also blew all the leaves and debris out of the cart and powerwashed it. Was hoping to pop the driven clutch off so I could replace it, but it's pretty well seized to the input shaft (not this again!). For some reason the driven clutch is the old Salsbury style with the steel sheaves, and I don't want to use it as it won't line up correctly with the newer (1988+) drive clutch. I'm thinking maybe I can drill some holes through the outer sheave and use a three-hole puller to remove it. Been soaking it in PB Blaster in the meantime.

Also, all the joints on the front-end suspension are loose and appear to be shot. Since this is a Z-lift that utilizes the stock front spindles and bushings, I may be able to use some of the front suspension components that came off my '87 when I put the double A-arm lift on it. I'll have to dig them out and see if they're in better shape.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Ugh! These shackles! I need to call one of the cart lift manufacturers and get them to sell me u-bolts and blocks so I can flip this axle and lift it properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0513.jpg (160.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Wow....
That's big a$$ shackles.....
Did get a jacket up like a 72 Plymouth satellite?
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
Wow....
That's big a$$ shackles.....
Did get a jacket up like a 72 Plymouth satellite?
Yeah...

I've ordered about $200-worth of suspension parts to get it put right. On order are 2 new rear leaf springs, 4 new rear leaf spring shackles, all new rear leaf spring bushings, spring perches (for flipping the leafs topside of the axle), u-bolts, a rubber snubber for the front of the engine cradle (there was nothing there, and wear damage like it was driven that way!), and a replacement steering box bellow. Should all be here this week.

I'm also trying to remove the driven clutch on the transaxle, see this thread for details and pictures. I'd really like to get this clutch off before I put the rear suspension back together for obvious reasons.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well I got the driven clutch off my axle without destroying it! Since it was an older clutch with steel sheaves, I was able to tap the three existing 1/4" holes on the hub of the outer sheave and use a three-bolt puller to yank it off.

(The vise grip isn't there for welding, I only used it to keep the clutch from spinning when running the impact gun)

Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Wow, those shackles are ridiculous! Looks like a fun project,
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides