lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
swhite832
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New stereo cuts out when accelerator depressed

Im leaning towards a ground back feed coming from....something. Or maybe some ground connections that I missed.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. I gonna try one mo time.

Did you ever try the radio?

Did you try another iPod?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
swhite832
Not Yet Wild

Sorry. Yes and yes. It's a ground fault coming from somewhere.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
swhite832
Not Yet Wild

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2467.jpgUpdate

Installed a new "boat" stereo. Replaced main ground harness. SAME PROBLEM.

The two wire harness that you see in the picture, when disconnected, allows the starter to turn without the engine starting.

The stereo works fine with this harness disconnected. i.e. the starter is spinning but the engine but not starting.
As soon as you plug the harness back together and the engine is back in the loop, the stereo quits.

One side of that wire harness goes somewhere into the engine. The other side goes back to a rectangle box(MCI ignitor) which sits in front of the battery right next to the starting coil. This MCI ignitor is a $600 part after tax and shipping.

If I knew for sure this ignitor thing was causing the problem I would replace it. I dont have a clue

Anyone have any ideas??
Old 05-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #15
swhite832
Not Yet Wild

Problem Solved!!

After perusing the battery cart side of the forums I ran into a guy who had the same issue and replaced a spark plug wire to fix it.

I pulled a plug, because I was curious. The plugs are a year, maybe two, old. Then there was the palm face moment....resistor plugs!! I replaced both plugs NGK bp4es with NGK bpr4es. Because back in the day when throwing stereos in whatever POS car we happened to get on the cheap resistor plugs was SOP when dealing with noise issues. While removing the second plug, the little nipple thing on top is loose. Seriously?!

So, the problem was either the loose little nipple (loose nipples been home wreckin for eons) or a resistor type plug was needed. You be the judge!

Coil and wires
New "round" marine stereo head unit
All new wiring for stereo and new dash components
All new grounds and harnesses
New "BIGGER" battery
upteen phone calls to everyone even remotely connected to a stereo installation in a golf cart(time)
All the post and forum research(time)

= you do the math

$5 worth of spark plugs fixed the issue

Thanks to all those who tried to help.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow I remember all the hell from them back in the day and never even thought about that. Thanks for keeping us updated. your the man.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #17
clr.R4tch3t
Getting Wild

I would have never guessed plugs would cause it to cut out. Guess the young guys can learn something every now and then.. haha glad you got it figured out!
clr.R4tch3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

My guess was that it was high energy r.f.i. overloading the head unit.
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832 View Post
Problem Solved!!

After perusing the battery cart side of the forums I ran into a guy who had the same issue and replaced a spark plug wire to fix it.

I pulled a plug, because I was curious. The plugs are a year, maybe two, old. Then there was the palm face moment....resistor plugs!! I replaced both plugs NGK bp4es with NGK bpr4es. Because back in the day when throwing stereos in whatever POS car we happened to get on the cheap resistor plugs was SOP when dealing with noise issues. While removing the second plug, the little nipple thing on top is loose. Seriously?!

So, the problem was either the loose little nipple (loose nipples been home wreckin for eons) or a resistor type plug was needed. You be the judge!

Coil and wires
New "round" marine stereo head unit
All new wiring for stereo and new dash components
All new grounds and harnesses
New "BIGGER" battery
upteen phone calls to everyone even remotely connected to a stereo installation in a golf cart(time)
All the post and forum research(time)

= you do the math

$5 worth of spark plugs fixed the issue

Thanks to all those who tried to help.
I'm late to the party on this one - just bought a new plug for my 1991 - had a BP4S plug in it - bought the BPR4S instead because it was a dollar cheaper. The guy at the parts store and I joked about old snowmobiles going by and screwing with the TV reception (Antenna) - was going to suggest you look at that! Glad you got it fixed!
birddog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #20
1989 EZ GO Marathon
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: New stereo cuts out when accelerator depressed

I have a 1989 EZ Go marathon gas golf cart. 12v system.. I just had a bluetooth radio, 4 small speakers, and a small amp installed. When the cart is stopped the radio works great. When I take off in the cart the speakers cut off. After checking the volts I found my cart is getting 17-18 volts when the gas is pressed. When I approach a stop the speakers kick back on and music starts playing again. I just replaced the voltage regulator yesterday and I'm still getting 17-18 volts when the gas is pressed. The guy who installed the stereo says the amp will shut off at anything over 15 volts so the amp don't fry. Any ideas how to reduce the 17-18 volts down to a constant 12v so the stereo will stay on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1989 EZ GO Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO