lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
pandmautocare
Getting Wild

Default 6 8 volt batteries....or 8 6 volt batteries?

I'm in the market for some new batteries and wondering if switching to 8 6 volt batteries is worth the cost?.... Currently I have 6 8 volts in my g29
pandmautocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 6 8 volt batteries....or 8 6 volt batteries?

I would like to know the same thing. Only about $100 difference around here. Plus cables etc.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Currently in my area T-105s are about $103 ea and T-785s are $111. About $156 more for 8x6v vs 6x8v. If you don't have 8 cores you might have to pay a core charge which would increase the cost difference.

By the chart you can see when comparing 8 t-105s and 6 t-875s there is considerable more capacity in KW. So longer range with 8x6v and possibly longer service life because over a given distance the 8x6 battery pack wouldn't be discharged as deeply as the 6x8 battery pack. Shallower discharge per cycle equals more cycles available before end of life all else being equal.

Besides cost, the downside to the 8 battery configuration is the space the extra batteries take up and the additional weight that you always have to move. It's like carrying a small adult passenger all the time. This will cut into the carts performance and negate a little bit of the extra battery capacity.

If you need the range and are not so concerned with carts performance then the 8x6 may be the way to go.

The math can change a lot when different battery capacities are used. Battery prices are regional. What works for one person could be much different for another.

Your milage may vary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery kwh storage comparisons.jpg (39.3 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Great chart Kernal.
Keep in mind that the power to weight ratio is critical in an electric vehicle. Adding 120 pounds of battery is like a passenger who never gets out of the cart. (You end up with about 500 pounds of batteries) The added weight causes the cart to be less efficient and causes the cart to use more energy to move itself negating some of the benefit.
I prefer 6/8v = 160 pounds less dead weight
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I didn't make it. I want to say JohnnieB did but I can't remember for sure.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
pandmautocare
Getting Wild

My main concern is range....still havnt decided which way to go yet....thanks for the answers tho
Old 02-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I feel some of the possible performance loss would be "gained back" in an upgraded cart from reduced voltage sag under hard acceleration when using 8x 6v batteries. The smaller the battery pack, the worse the worse the sag is under load.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I feel some of the possible performance loss would be "gained back" in an upgraded cart from reduced voltage sag under hard acceleration when using 8x 6v batteries. The smaller the battery pack, the worse the worse the sag is under load.
I have wondered about that for a long time. Haven't been able to find a definitive answer really. Is reduced sag related to higher capacity (total) or because there is more of them in the string(series).

In my research I have noticed hints that my 190AH rated 8v batteries might have less sag under acceleration than say a 170AH pack. So far I can't prove anything one way or another.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
pandmautocare
Getting Wild

Doing research , I see that the yamaha g29 had a factory option of 8 6 volts....I wonder if anybody has one of these carts and what kind of range they get?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have used all possible configurations 8/6, 6/8 and 4/12. The biggest performance difference is in weight reduction. In my opinion power to weight ratio is a bigger factor than voltage sag in practical application. Your results may vary
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha