lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2021, 01:52 AM   #1
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Elec. to Gas conversion "Scrappie" GX390.

Converting a old EZGO electric to gas, putting in a Honda GX390 engine. My biggest road block is how to mount the engine. It needs to move with the rear so how do I do that? I see some people weld a plate right to the rear end but mine is so small I don't see that working out well.

Can anyone tell me what year it is from this plate?

BestAsbestos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO Elec. to Gas conversion "Scrappie" GX390.

That would be a 1990 Marathon. There is no easy way to convert that. Gas version had the whole engine and rear end on a swinging frame that hinged at about where the front of your battery trays would be. Then there's also the need to swap to a 4 stroke gas rear end, or some other extreme measure, to have a reverse gear. Electrics and 2 strokes just turned the motor / engine backwards & a 4 stroke can't do that.

Last edited by meimk; 03-07-2021 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Not saying it can't be done, but that would be a pretty good challenge. Tons of work with a low payoff.

You'd have to make it a "rigid" meaning, make the rear axle so that it doesn't move. Otherwise you'd have to fabricate a whole new swingarm that connects to the axle, holds the engine, and has a pivot point near the floor board area.

Plus, you still have the issue of fabricating a drive system with chain. You will have a very low gear ratio, so 10 mph or so, and no reverse.

You're better off finding a gas 4 cycle cart with no engine.

Read this thread

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172255
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

The GX390 I have is from a pressure washer and already has a nice mounting plate even. I got most of the crap out of the back just need to find some decent angle to weld to the rear end.

I don't care if it goes fast as long as it goes. Its for "farm use", not really a farm but ya get the idea.

Driver side brake cable is seized so if anyone can lead me a parts manual for my model I would appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Does the engine have a straight shaft crank? or is it tapered?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
BestAsbestos
Not Yet Wild

Straight.

Tags
conversion, ezgo, gx390
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!