lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard Muffler Update

Love the video Project. That's almost the same muffler that came on my engine from carts parts plus. My cart is very quiet for an 18hp vanny. I've taken it to Texas a couple of times. It's a long ways to haul it from NY but worth every penny because the kids love it.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2017, 06:26 PM   #12
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Okay I had to go back and get it, thought something was missing these things are old anyway, taking much abuse day after day now I got to go find out who sold them to me so I can buy more, keep a lookout 4 inch plus fender flares specifically made to fit Club Car DS. ( hangs head in shame looks down at the ground) all this to make a video, ******....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #13
LocoGary
Not Yet Wild

Your problem is you need to have good brackets on muffler. The engine is supposed to be stationary and everything is designed for that.
That first muffler posted, you will need a bracket on each side to stop twisting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

[QUOTE=LocoGary; Your problem is you need to have good brackets on muffler. The engine is supposed to be stationary and everything is designed for that.
That first muffler posted, you will need a bracket on each side to stop twisting

Not to be rude, but I never showed a picture of the old header,only the new muffler, the old stainless steel header.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/9lrwsav67/][/url]

There is no way in hell, that my engine can be stationary first of all, I have a snubber on the front of the Cradle which the engine is mounted to, in a prior thread I did put a piece of three-quarter inch iron wood in between snubber and the Cradle just to stop the engine from hitting the top of the body,
But still has plenty of up-and-down movement, not stationary.

The second thing is the rear axle, the flexing of the axle going up and down also affects the motor, seeing how it's connected to the cradle as well,
And you want this Flex when you're going over a tree that's in the middle of a trail or through a ravine that's dried up, in my opinion not letting the engine Flex was what was causing things to break!!
With this new muffler, it goes with the flow of the motor, motor goes up Muffler goes up, motor goes down, Muffler goes down.
I did connect a 2 inch flex hose, that turns down and goes away from the engine to keep heat down.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Your motor can't move too much on the cradle, well at least front to back, or it will screw up the CVT. The CVT works best when the distance between the clutches is correct and stays in the same place. Ideally a solid mount. The yamaha uses a cable to hold it under torque it holds front of block to the cradle near the clutch, so the engine can't pull itself towards the trans. Low power it will be ok on the rubber mounts they don't move that much. With my clone I made a solid bolt with rubber washer under the adjusting nut, bolt like an eye bolt but the eye is a solid little plate with hole that bolts to cradle on a mount. The belt torque will always pull the engine and trans together, but on a cart only the engine is rubber mounted. The clone power seems to break the little yamaha stock cable they use.

Ideally you would rubber mount the front of the cradle, the rear will not vibrate through the shocks. Then solid or near solid mount the engine. Stock with 10hp it is not as much an issue.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #16
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

I don't know too much about a Yamaha but I do know a lot about a Club Car DS, I broke a lot of stuff, just about everything you can think of.... I broke! Some things repeatedly...
The cart pulls wheelies, goes 50 miles an hour, is asked to do things that no golf cart should be asked to do, goes places where some four wheelers can't go.
I could not imagine my cradle being stationary and not able to move. Am I missing something? Seems like that would really be a very stiff ride if that were the case?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #17
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Little dirty but we made this cradle and my engine is solid in there, no moving what so ever, I do like the muffler you found though, and it's a cheaper also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #18
HBR
Gone Wild

As I was reading the replies on what is and isn't stationary, I started getting confused.

On an '04 DS, the rear end is bolted to the engine pan/cradle. It doesn't appear that Club Car used rubber mounts like they did in the '92-'96 carts. So the engine is direct mounted to the engine pan/cradle as well. That means the engine and rear end move together when going over obstacles. So the engine is "stationary" to the rear end, but the engine/rear end definitely move relative to the frame.

Now if you mount your exhaust to the cradle, engine or rear end you should be OK. But if you mount your exhaust to something else, like the frame, you will eventually have breakage. There is enough suspension travel that flex connectors just won't hold up over time.

Now if you have the anti-vibration mount for your engine, the best thing would be to mount your exhaust to the engine. The rubber mounts will allow enough movement that you'll run into problems if you mount your exhaust to the cradle or rear end (unless you use a flex connector).
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
As I was reading the replies on what is and isn't stationary, I started getting confused.

On an '04 DS, the rear end is bolted to the engine pan/cradle. It doesn't appear that Club Car used rubber mounts like they did in the '92-'96 carts. So the engine is direct mounted to the engine pan/cradle as well. That means the engine and rear end move together when going over obstacles. So the engine is "stationary" to the rear end, but the engine/rear end definitely move relative to the frame.

Now if you mount your exhaust to the cradle, engine or rear end you should be OK. But if you mount your exhaust to something else, like the frame, you will eventually have breakage. There is enough suspension travel that flex connectors just won't hold up over time.

Now if you have the anti-vibration mount for your engine, the best thing would be to mount your exhaust to the engine. The rubber mounts will allow enough movement that you'll run into problems if you mount your exhaust to the cradle or rear end (unless you use a flex connector).
Yes this is good, the CVT will be happy. That is what I meant.

I used a coupling that robertson makes. However my cart the rear does not articulate it is just a swing arm so only goes up/down. Then hung the muffler on the rear frame behind bumper. The coupler near head moves a little when the suspension compresses. This would not work the same with an articulating rear. Mine has two pivots on the front of cradle. It does not ride as good but it corners on rails without leaning....long as you keep it on 4 wheels of course.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Well I have to retract a reprint I was right about the motor going up and down but I was wrong about the motor flexing left to right actually went and slinging in the ditch and tried to film it while riding it backwards all it did was tossed me off in the ditch and it didn't it didn't articulate like I thought put the motor does go up and down you can take a look at my air cleaner and see where it scrapes the top of the car all the time when you punch it and let it rip I took a quick video just to show it going up and down but you are right it does not twist to the left and right I apologize
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUIN-k8w2DU
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!