lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
jake318
Not Yet Wild

Default Inexpensive durable turbo/supercharging Briggs big block v-twins

hello all , just wanted to pass on info on how to turbocharge the Briggs & Stratton big block 993cc v-twin producing roughly 100hp, And actually INCREASE durability (compared to stock engine) .
The weak point of briggs/kohler engines is there rods & pistons ( pistons are like paper?)
aliexpress.com store 722508 W9689 pindustry sells forged 4340 Chrome moly connecting rods(h type) for the 35hp 993cc Briggs vanguard V-twin for only 60$ a piece . The are rated for 1000hp so theres no way your snapping a rod LOL , . Performance vtwins sells Arias forged pistons for roughly 235$ pair and ecotrons.com sell small ihi turbochargers for 400$ complete all inclusive kit , oil cooler plumbng ect and precisioncams.com sells racing camshafts for 200$ . if you want to go nuts precision cams also has worked heads for the 993cc(35hp ) brigs big block v-twin for roughly 400$ . That will push hp up to 125hp at only 5500RPM . if you look around you can get a new 993cc big block briggs vanguard v-twin for roughly 1700$ so for about 2100-2500$ you will have a 100hp or 125hp engine that is BETTER than stock and an easy build .
I have seen them pushed up to 140/150hp in drag racing but the blocks crack over time . ( briggs/kohler engines use LOW grade metal hence 1700$ for new engine... high grade metallurgy pushes cost up = 8000-9000$ motorcycle engines ) BUT at 100/125 hp they last 20,000 miles . Why spend all the money to bore/stroke enigines and use high compression which costs$$$ when this set up is SO much more economical
jake318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Hollywood1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Inexpensive durable turbo/supercharging Briggs big block v-twins

Sounds to good to be true!
Hmmmm....
Hollywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Why Chromemoly for the Rods?Billet aluminum H-Beams would be plenty strong,and much lighter too.Why add reciprocating weight?The prices seem decent overall.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Thanks for the info Jake
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
jake318
Not Yet Wild

Pach billet con rods stretch over time, The Forged Chrome moly rods are rated to 1000hp so you can utilize the new small inexpensive turbos out now you can buy the ENTIRE IHI RHB31 turbocharger set up (oil cooler pump ,plumbing ect for roughly 400$. Yes billet are lighter used originally for 15000/20000rpm drag racing but these v-twins do not run anywhere near that high an rpm . Chrome moly rods with forged pistons at 5500rpm 10lbs boost you get 100hp and more reliable Than stock .
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
jake318
Not Yet Wild

BTW ...UNTIL THE NEW SMALL TURBOS CAME ONTO MARKET I WAS VERY MUCH AGAINST TURBOCHARGING . tHE T-3 WAS THE SMALLEST TURBO ON THE MARKET / EXPENSIVE AND TONS OF LAG BEING THEY WHERE DESIGNED FOR 2500cc/3000cc 4-6 CYLINDER ENGINES .
Old 09-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
jake318
Not Yet Wild

ALSO PACH GETTING 100HP AT 5500rpm IS MUCH EASIER ON THE ENGINE THAT GETTING 100HP AT SAY 8000rpm . HIGHERI HORSEPOWER DOES NOT DECRESE ENGINE LIFE IF.... 1.YOU HAVE PROPER LUBRICATION. 2 HEAT OF ENGINE IS WITHIN DESIGN SPECIFICATION AND 3. tHE ENGINE rpm IS KET UNDER DESIGN SPECIFICATION .

MORE AIR & fUEL CREATING BIGGER EXPLOTION=POWER IN CYLINDER DOESNT SHORTEN ENGINE LIFE = ENGINEERING MYTH
TIP FOR ANY AIR COOLED ENGINE= TTO HEAD TEMP GAUGES SMAL 1INCH BY 1.5 INCHES LCD READOUT AND FLASH IF ENGINE GOES OVER PRESET LIMIT . COST ONLY 20-30$ ON EBAY AND THEY TELL TEMP CONTANTLY , CONTINUOUSLY AND INSTANTLY IF ANY CHANGE . sTICK OIL TEMP GAUGES LIKE ON HARLEYS , BY THE TIME THE OIL TEMP HAS OVER HEATED THE CYLINDERS HAVE BEEN RUNNING DRY FOR 3-4 MINETS= ENGINE DAMAGE . THE BRIGGS/kOHLER V-TWIN ENGINE DESIGN IS SIMPLE /GOOD BUT THE METAL IS very LOW GRADE . kEEP WITHIN rpm & TEMP PERAMETERS YOU HAVE INEXPENSIVE DEPENDABLE ENGINE ...BUT ... THEY DO WEAR QUICKLY (20,000 MILES )HENCE NEW ENGINE ONLY 1700$.
gOOD NEWS IS UPGRADED ENGINE INTERNALS ARE MADE OF QUALITY METAL AND CAN BE RE USED TO ROUGHLY 100,000 MILES
Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
jake318
Not Yet Wild

tHESE BRIGGS/KOHLER 1000CC ENGINES WITH NEW SMALL TURBOS ALSO MAKE FOR GREAT OUTBOARD ENGINES . oUTBOARD BOAT ENGINES COST A fORTUNE!!! 70HP 10,000
100HP 12,000. . sAME SET UP AS LISTED ABOVE YOU GET A 70HP-100HP OUTBOARD FOR ROUGHLY 3000$

MANY UTV, 6 WHEELERS SKI DOOS ECT ARE GOING WITH UPGRADED BRIGGS/KOHLER V-TWINS ( CALLING THEM UTILLITY ENGINES ) smart . mOTORCYCLES , WATERCRAFT, COSTS HAVE GONE THROUGH THE ROOF DUE TO TECH WAR . WHO NEEDS A MOTORCYCLE THAT CAN GO 300,000-400,000 MILES = EURO/JAPANESE SPORTBIKES
Old 09-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm no stranger to small engines or turbos,I started playing with turbos in the late 80s'.My question on the rods refers to the weight factor.I know Aluminum rods can stretch,but in this application,I really don't think it would ever happen,unless the rods were run thousands of hours,due to the lower rpm,vs a high rpm drag-car,bike,etc..and the fact that carts aren't usually run at WOT for more than short blasts.Not arguing anything,just asking questions.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
beater cart
Gone Wild

Who makes the rod bearings for this rod? Vanguards do not use bearing inserts. I know ARC makes billet rods and there own bearings for them and performance V twin has his own rods that are like the factory rods and do not use the bearing insert. And the turbo says its good for 125-600cc motors I would think you would need two turbos to keep drive pressure in line.
beater cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!