lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Separate 12v battery for accessories (radio/lights). What about charging?

I'm getting ready to wire up my radio / 12v outlet (for spotlight) / under-body LED lights / and possibly winch soon. I've read that a separate battery is the best option for wiring all of these up. This is probably a dumb question, but for the guys with a setup like this, how are you keeping the battery charged? It seems like I've heard some talk about wiring a switch, and wiring it to the main pack so the charger only thinks it is charging 36v, but it sounds a little confusing to me, and with my luck, something would screw up. Is my only option pretty much hooking up a separate battery charger to it every now and then to keep it charged? If so, how often (I know it depends on how much you use from it), like what kind of life are you guys getting from a separate battery with this stuff hooked up, and how often are you charging it?

It just seems like a pain in the a$$ to hook up a separate charger all the time to just charge that battery, but I don't really want to run all of that crap off of the main pack. Is this the best option to run this stuff and keep it charged?

Has anyone ever ran one of the cheaper solar chargers to that battery? If so, does it work very well? Like I said, it seems like a pain to hook up a different charger every so often, but if that is what most are doing, then that is the route I will go. Thanks
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Separate 12v battery for accessories (radio/lights). What about charging?

I run lights, led's, and stereo off of my marine deep cycle, only needs charging every 2 or 3 weeks with normal use, so it's not that big of a deal just to hook up the old battery charger every few weeks.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
GHBG35
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Separate 12v battery for accessories (radio/lights). What about charging?

Remember you get what you paid for, I have an Aux Battery for radio, LEDS, and 12V outlet and I used a cheap battery to save a few bucks. Useless..it runs out of Juice Before a song finishes. Maybe that's my frustration showing, but it doesn't last long.

Other than the cheap battery, the setup works well and was straight forward. I insatlled a fuse block and a battery tender with a Marine outlet below the main charger outlet, very easy to plug in and you don't have to fool with cords running from under the seat.
GHBG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I charge accessory batteries through the cig lighter plug by way of an adapter
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHBG35 View Post
Remember you get what you paid for, I have an Aux Battery for radio, LEDS, and 12V outlet and I used a cheap battery to save a few bucks. Useless..it runs out of Juice Before a song finishes. Maybe that's my frustration showing, but it doesn't last long.

Other than the cheap battery, the setup works well and was straight forward. I insatlled a fuse block and a battery tender with a Marine outlet below the main charger outlet, very easy to plug in and you don't have to fool with cords running from under the seat.
That's very true, plan on spending about $100 for a marine deep cycle or dual purpose (and that's a cheap for a marine battery, but will more than do the job) Try Sams, Wally World, O'reiley, etc...
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
GHBG35
Not Yet Wild

Here is the marine plug, really easy to charge aux battery. One of my more useful mods.

GHBG35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHBG35 View Post
Here is the marine plug, really easy to charge aux battery. One of my more useful mods.

I was going to post a picture of mine but it is identical to how you placed yours.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
jwdixon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I charge accessory batteries through the cig lighter plug by way of an adapter
Is this an adaptor for the charger?
jwdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdixon View Post
Is this an adaptor for the charger?
My charger came with clamps for the battery terminals, I just chopped them off and wired the ends up to a cigarette plug. Marine stores sell plug/outlet combos that are fairly straight forward to wire up/install.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacruzslick View Post
My charger came with clamps for the battery terminals, I just chopped them off and wired the ends up to a cigarette plug. Marine stores sell plug/outlet combos that are fairly straight forward to wire up/install.
That's a great idea!! Going to steal it...

FWIW, saw Blue Top Optimas at Sam's today for $155
LizardLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center