lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default I need a Sawzall blade sponsor!

So I had another thread titled, "getting ready to clean this up". It was referring to my wifes cart. In short, we had purchased a cart and the previous owner had really jacked up the lift and frame. My buddy and I tried to correct a bunch of the previous mistakes. Here are some pics of the finished project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2359.JPG (87.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2361.JPG (84.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2362.jpg (46.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2364.JPG (84.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2368.jpg (40.9 KB, 35 views)
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: I need a Sawzall blade sponsor!

So I had the cart finished up by April 24th. It ran really good, looked really good and my wife was very happy. I wasn't too happy, as her cart ended up smoking mine in a drag race. We clocked hers at over 37 mph. Mine has the same motor! I got to get rid of the governor on mine.

So we took a family picnic day up to a spot in the desert we go to. Had a great day, me, the wife, the kids and even the dogs. On the way back to the truck my son and youngest daughter grabbed my wifes cart and we got in the other.

Well, my son and daughter were not paying attention. He missed a turn and over-corrected and rolled the cart, tossing the two kids out. Luckily the kids were only bruised, it could have been much worse.

The cart did not fare as well,
Here are some pics of the aftermath:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2428.JPG (74.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2429.JPG (98.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2430.jpg (55.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2431.jpg (48.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Steering column bent pretty good, plastic broken, seat back pillars bent! Speaking of bent, Dad was a little bent. Oh well, as they said in the beginning of each episode of the $6 Million Dollar Man, "we have the technology, we can rebuild him"
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So on 8/10/10 mu dear old buddy, Frankie and I had a "fab" session. Lots more pics and the reast of the story to come

MysteryMan
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow,

you are a mystery man....technology sure has come a long way....working in the future and all. Today is only the 8th. ..haha

Can't wait to see your pics.

SHMO
shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Sorry Shmo,
wasn't paying attention to the dates. So my feeble mind was thinking that all I needed to do was get another G2/G9 and then I could swap my swingarm/big block into the new cart, put a lift kit on it and then swap over the wheels,seats,etc.

Ron "The New Guy" really helped me out with some ideas. He said that the swingarms on the electric carts were shorter to allow for more battery capacity on the main frame. He suggessted that I just swap out the plastic on the newly acquired cart for the damaged plastic on the old one. Sounds good, but I really wanted to correct the poor geometry from the previous owners homemade lift So I started thinking...

So I called my buddy and scheduled a day to do some "fabbin'". Frankie is not only a great fabricator but he also is the head mechanic for one of the local country clubs. Bonus!

Originally I looked at cutting the cross member that the swingarm mounts to, out of the rolled cart and grafting it into the newly acquired cart.

Franks option was to cut the front ends off of both carts and weld the front end (with good geometry) of the newly acquired cart to the rear end of the rolled cart.

It was only 5 cuts, the tubular frame and then the three floor board supports. We took some baseline measurements, figured out how much we needed then let the sawzalls fly!!!

My Dad always said "measure once, cut twice, measure twice, cut once". Well after we cut we fit tried to fit them together we found that we had cut about two inches too much out of the frame. No worries, we got a mig welder.

No seriously, we found some tubular steel around my shop that fit the inner diameter of the frame tubes. we prepped both sides, made our marks and slid the two halves together. Welded up the frame, re-welded the floorboard supports and we have a good straight frame. No bad steering geometry, no roll-over damage, no bent steering columns.

So now I am in the process of cleaning up the welds, then repainting the frame. Then I have to get the front end lift kit installed. Then swap over the plastic. I am really happy with our end result. I will post pics later tonight.

MysteryMan
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Glad to hear the kids weren't hurt bad. Sounds like you and Frankie got the repairs well under way. Keep the pics coming!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

These are some pics of us just getting under way. Had both carts side by side in the shop. Sawzalls were plugged in and the welder was warming up in the wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2697.JPG (89.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2698.JPG (88.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2699.JPG (89.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2700.JPG (91.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Now look at the mess you've got us into.

This is what we ended up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2701.JPG (77.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2702.JPG (79.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2703.JPG (77.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2704.JPG (83.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
mysteryman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

In the middle of cutting this up, Frankie asks what am I going to do with all the scrap. I tell him I'm going to cut it up and put it in the dumpster. He says, lets build you a trailer with the back half of the newly acquired cart. A poor mans limo, basically. So we put my son to work prepping what is going to be the new drawbar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2706.JPG (75.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2707.JPG (88.1 KB, 38 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts