lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Randy24
Not Yet Wild

Default Fourtrax shaft to chain drive

Hello i’m new to the forums
I hope I posted this in the right place
I have a Fourtrax 300 2wd, it was crashed years ago and has bent axles and frame and is beyond repair, but the engine is still in good condition.
I recently started a go kart project and needed an engine when I thought about it.
The problem is the shaft drive, I would have to convert it to chain drive to make it work.
I have no idea if something like that is possible i’ve heard it’s been done to other shaft engines but haven’t found anything on this one.

Some guys on the Honda ATV forum told me some people might have done it here or just conversion info in general.

Is it possible? And if it is, any directions to how it’s done?
Randy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Fourtrax shaft to chain drive

Anything can be done, question is 'is it worth it' or do you have the time to mess with it that long. You have options you might be better off finding used axles and putting that whole rear on your project, depending on what they cost. Otherwise you would have to make a coupling to fit the shaft for example, the other problem is the shaft is not in the right direction without a gearbox the rear has in it. Anything is possible, but it pays to figure it out first and take the best route. You might find another axle from a truckster or small vehicle and run the shaft to that for example, it all depends on what you are doing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
saamember4880
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Fourtrax shaft to chain drive

Anything's possible with enough money! Just kidding. I'm actually looking at doing the same thing with my build. Originally, I just had a sprocket welded to the base of the universal joint that goes onto output shaft but the more I thought about it (I'm not finished assembling it, the more concerned I've become with the side load that'd be putting on something that wasn't designed to take a side load. Instead, I'm going to weld a sprocket onto the driveshaft and support it with two pillow bearings. The only other issue I ran into is that the output shaft spins the wrong way so I installed the engine with the output shaft facing to the front and am going to build a chain-driven transfer case. Since I'm using a 185cc engine and have to build a transfer case anyway, I'm going to incorporate an automatic electric "overdrive" to turn it into a 6 speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221021_115118[1].jpg (231.4 KB, 0 views)
saamember4880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps