lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
harrisracing1
Not Yet Wild

Default Converting 72v Stealth to Gasoline GY6 manual trans!

Greetings,

I bought a 72V Stealth a couple of years ago and have had several problems since. One major issue is that it has been through 2 motor controllers since I've owned it and the previous owner had just replaced it before I bought it. Fast forward to now, and I've decided to swap it to the small 150cc GY6 gasoline engine/transmission setup and to gut the batteries and extra weight from the kart. I have loosely designed the adaptation and here is the plan as of now:

I removed all batteries wiring, etc from the kart. It is amazing how much weight there is here. The kart likely sits 1-2" higher now!
Removed the center driveshaft and center differential (for now).
Removed all of the guts out of the electric motor housing. I am using the shaft for the electric motor and turned it down on a lather to 1" diameter to run a 1" drive sprocket. This allows me to use the bearing support at the end of the electric motor for the shaft and it still "appears" there is an electric motor there...but there isn't. One added value to this is that I still should be able to RETAIN the factory differential chain drive which is on the shaft outside of the factory motor. Initially I was going to use that .750" keyed shaft and just drive there via jackshaft, but it was going to remove the 4wd function.

Engine:
I choose one of the "Gy6" engines from Ebay. They have rave reviews for the most part and I opted for the whole kit with carb, wiring harness, charging system, CDI, exhaust. The one I choose was an "automatic manual" with reverse. This engine has a #40 drive sprocket on the output (mine came with 14 tooth) and is a "R-N-1-2-3" manual with a low engagement automatic clutch. It's also significantly more compact than any belt configuration.
The gearing that I am finding for this seems to be VERY short. From rolling the flywheel over and counting teeth in each gear I came up with the following (which will be verified when I drive the buggy):
R + 1 (same ratio) = 12.5:1
2 = 7.15 : 1
3 = 4.33 : 1

Drivetrain:
The Stealth final drive seems to be about 12:1 ratio. Again...super turned down from the motor especially if you were to go through the engine 1st gear first. This determined pretty easily that I would need a jackshaft. I purchased a jackshaft kit that had 13 and 17 teeth on them for my first test. I also bought a 27 tooth sprocket to slide on to the shaft also. I will see how the motor acts first and determine which I want to use. My calcs have a top speed of about 29 mph all in with a 27 tooth and 18 mph with the 17. This buggy's purpose is literally riding around my pretty flat property around the house, so I don't see the need for anything more than a comfortable 15 mph cruise to the neighbor's and back.

The gearing arrangement is currently planned as follows:
Engine drive sprocket = 14 tooth
Jackshaft in = 13 teeth (effective multiplier of 1.08 so far)
Jackshaft out = 27 or 17 teeth (will test this)
Motor drive = 12 teeth (effective multiplier of 2.42 or 1.52)
This will all help reduce the buggy's final 12:1 reduction.

So the arrangement will be to have the engine mounted to the motor case as well as the jackshaft with slots cut in the motor case for chains to pass through to the existing electric motor shaft (that I turned to 1" diameter for a sprocket drive). The neat thing is the entire package will be mounted to the old motor location so that should allow a relatively modular install/removal and keep the weight somewhat back in the kart. I anticipate easily a removal of 250# off of the original kart weight, which should allow a pretty nice increase in payload.

I'll keep you guys updated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201113_163817.jpg (161.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201113_162516.jpg (105.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201113_162009.jpg (117.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201113_173723.jpg (81.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20201113_173833.jpg (71.0 KB, 0 views)
harrisracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
harrisracing1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Converting 72v Stealth to Gasoline GY6 manual trans!

Pretty productive day so far. If I had the 1" sprocket I would have it installed 100%.

I have to cut one bracket off the buggy where an old battery spot was which was anticipated, otherwise everything pretty much came out as planned.

Still lots of little work to be done, but I sure am happy with how it looks so far. I had to trim about 1" off the engine chain guard to make it clear the electric motor body otherwise it fit without a hitch!

Also was 100% able to retain 4wd. So everything clears the differential and factory double roller chain (mocked up in pics below). So now all 3 chains are independently adjstable. I might run the buggy first with only 2wd until I get some bugs out and things adjusted and then reinstall later. The front diff is electronically locked so I'm hoping it works on only 12v.

Pretty dang happy the way it looks so far.

Fyi replacement engines are $289 complete which is nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
harrisracing1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Converting 72v Stealth to Gasoline GY6 manual trans!

Should be running soon!

Everything is kind of working out. No clue how I overlooked the slots in the jackshaft being the wrong way to tension but I've cut some new slots in two of the existing plates. Everything bolts up and tensions now. I'll keep you guys posted on progress.

Also got a cheap gas tank and a fuel pump for it as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tags
72v, gas conversion, gy6, stealth
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides