lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Garpo67
Not Yet Wild

Default Timing

I recently replaced my crankshft seals for the second time. I finally have vacuum but i still cannot get it to fire besides the occasional backfire. I fear somewhere along the way I messed up the timing. Is there an easy way to check/fix the timing. 1983 Columbia
Garpo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Timing

If its in the middle of the adjustment range slots it should run with no load. Making power is another thing, that requires it to be a little more accurate.

Are you getting a good strong spark if you pull the plug and lay it on the head? If there is a good spark I would try another plug just to be sure. I have had them that would spark outside but not when you installed them.

If you don't have a nice strong consistent spark then I would stay focused there. These carts don't seem to like a kinda spark like say a lawnmower may run with.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, make sure that you are getting some type of good consistent spark. Even if you threw your timing off there should still be rythmic spark, just not at the right time. If you have consistent spark then your timing is probably off. If you don't have consistent spark then we'll have to do some other work.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Garpo67
Not Yet Wild

I'll double check my spark when I get home but I know it had been good. Would it have been easy for me to mess up the timing while replacing the crank seals?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garpo67 View Post
I'll double check my spark when I get home but I know it had been good. Would it have been easy for me to mess up the timing while replacing the crank seals?
Very easy, yes.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Why did you end up having to replace the crank seals twice? Normally thats like a 20 year item unless its had real heavy use in which case the rest of the engine would be worn too.

I don't remember it being easy to get the points cam or flywheel on wrong but I suppose you could check to make sure. Pull the plug and either look down there or stick something like a plastic drinking straw down there to touch the piston so you can see and feel when its at the top. That should be when the cam is lifting the points open. If somehow thats not when its happening then you got something off. I'm not talking about mm's off here, I'm saying it lifts open when piston is down a 1/2" kind of thing.

Do you have a compression gauge? If so whats it reading? Is the spark plug getting wet with gas when you are trying to start it? It should be. If its not and its got at decent compression then I would suspect reed valve.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Garpo67
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the seals once and when I put the motor back in I had no vacuum at all. I replaced the seals again and had vacuum back, I apparently did something wrong the first time around. The plug is getting wet and im getting spark so now i have to go back and check the timing. Whats the best way to adjust the timing if it is for sure off?
Old 11-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Do a forum search for timing as it's been talked about a ton. You may want to do some research there.

Personally, I have had no luck with any of the methods talked about in the service manual. I have always just taken the belt off of the cart, and just made tiny points / point gap adjustments until things are right.

Here is a link to the service manual:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/

There are a bunch of manuals there. You may have to click a few to find the right one.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

The timing just isn't that sensitive on these at least as far as making the engine run with no load. To make decent power it does need to be dialed. I'm trying to remember for sure but I think I have had one running at both extremes of the slot. I know for sure they will run fine in the middle half of the range, I just had one I was playing with that did that. I just don't remember if I went that last 1/4 of the slots.

My method has been just to play with it too. Like I said earlier either middle of the slots or where you could see the screw marks is the starting point and if you have the wheels off the ground should at least run that way. I then play with it by making slight adjustments either way while its still jacked up.

Once it seems decent like that I get it on the ground and test drive again making slight adjustments and testing again till it feels about the same forward and reverse. I may favor forward slightly but you can't always get that depending on the wear in the engine.

I don't remember if there is any way to get the flywheel on wrong or the points cam wrong but if you look or stick something like a drinking straw down the spark plug hole and turn it till piston is at the top just look at the points cam to see that its open or very close to being open when the piston is up. If its way off then you got something together wrong.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

As others above have covered I would start in the middle the fine tune with speed runs. Again as mentioned above you can generally see where the screws contacted the plate.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson