lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: North Carolina Laws

here check this out.

http://rtev.net/ruffandtuff/media/St...tion_-_LSV.pdf
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
k-vegas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks galloway. It's nice to know that the Helpful links on this document for NC takes you to a webpage that is no longer available. At least I could use this to determine which states I may be interested in moving to.
k-vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

I run in the road every day. I have passed cops and they just wave. As long as the speed limit is 35 or under I wouldnt sweat it. If you do get pulled tell them you thought it was ok and they will tell you what to do.
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

This is alot of info so get comfortable......

Ok here goes.....In N.C. the ONLY way you can license a cart is it either has to be built new...Gem, Think, Tomberline..... or converted to Street Legal by a licensed manufacturer.
Way back when....about 7-8yrs ago, the average Joe could put the required equipment on his cart, have a local DMV officer inspect it, officer would issue a VIN# based on the carts serial#, and with proof of insurance, get your tags and be on your way.

Present day.....Individuals can still put all the equipment on their carts. Carts must be taken to a licensed manufacturer. If it meets the requirments, the manufacturer can issue the paperwork, and apply a VIN tag to the cart that now carries a 17 Digit # just like an automobile. With the paperwork, proof of insurance, and a safety inspection at any inspection station, you go and get your tags and you are on your way.

Here is where people get upset......No Gas Carts......The state of N.C. will not allow anyone to tag a LSV unless it is electric. If tags are issued for gas carts by a Tag Office that doesn't know better. The state sends a Trooper or DMV officer to your house to seize the tags off the cart.

Here is the equipment that by N.C. law MUST be on the cart.

Cart can only be used on secondary roads where the speed limit is 35mph or less.
Cart must be electric
Cart must run over 21mph but under 25mph
Cart must have seatbelts for all passengers
Cart must have rear and side view mirrors
Cart must have a 1Pc. Dot approved windsheild- No Fold downs
Cart must have a windsheild wiper...This is STUPID!
Cart must have a speedometer/odometer
Cart must have head,tail,turn,brake,tag,lights,4ways,and 3rd brake light
Cart must have DOT approved wheels and tires- They won't pass a lifted cart
Cart must have a Vin tag with 17 digit Vin# and all Paperwork. This is only available through a N.C. licensed manufacturer.

After upgrade is done, paperwork will reflect the year of the conversion as the year of the LSV. EXAMPLE: If you were to take your 2001 48volt CC in to be upgraded with no equipment on it. You would get paperwork listing cart as a 2009 Street Legal LSV. You would also find your wallet about $2,200-$2,500 lighter. That is what the two or three licensed manufacturers will charge you for the Upgrade.

I know because I had been a part of this for over 7years. To much of a hassle. Thats why I'm out of it now. Liability can bury you.
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
bioniccartsandcustoms
Runnin' with Scissors

Club Car

Also every state has a LSV section.....they hide it though......but all have a way to get your ride "tagged"......If you don't mind jumping through hoops and spending money....
bioniccartsandcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
djockey21
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The list below defines the standard features of all our street legal golf cars:

Headlights and taillights with turn signals and brake lights
Third brake light
License plate light
Four sets of seatbelts
Speedometer
Horn
DOT Approved Tires
DOT Approved Windshield
Windshield Wiper
Amber reflectors on all corners of the vehicle
Minimum speed of at least 21 mph
Maximum speed of 25 mph
One drivers side external mirror
One internal mirror
17 digit Vehicle Identification Number, V.I.N

The VIN will need to be stamped by the Licensed Manufacture in NC. Most of them are located on the Coast of NC. The Golf Cart Outlet is located in Wilmington and Southport Area. If you have a lifted cart you will have to put Car tires on it or remove your lift kit.
djockey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
vponder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As a law enforcement officer just print out the law on what you've found and keep it on the cart in a safe place, if you get stopped just tell them that this is what you "interpreted " the law to mean, people see me on mine and ask is that thing legal? I tell them it has lights, brakes lights ect. I don't hog the road I wave people around me. I really dont think here in Georgia they have to be registered, I do have the slow moving triangle on the back and I certainly don't get on any major roads except to cross over. Theres a old saying I heard years ago it aint against the law till you get caught Have fun relax Vince
vponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
MtHollyMan
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Just an FYI on this topic. A lot of this depends on local city ordinances more than anything. If you're on a public city road it will be 90% based on the policy of that city or county. In our city, we basically have an unofficial policy that as long as they stay back in the neighborhoods we don't care. We do have one gentleman that drives his lawnmower to the McDonalds every day but he is never bothered.

There are other examples of municipalities that are golf cart exclusive and they don't require the excessive equipment that the state requires. It call comes down to who is going to enforce it.

Since getting my cart the only calls I have ever heard of involving golf carts have been people that believed kids were driving in dangerous areas with them. I.e. going 75 yds down a road that has a 45mph speed limit.
MtHollyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: North Carolina Laws

I know this is a NC thing but as in Myrtle Beach SC. Doesn't matter what you do to the cart it can't be driven at night.

That being said I have been out past midnight riding and they haven't ever stopped me yet...knock on wood.

I was driving like I should and not acting stupid.
I have seen kids driving carts that could barely walk and the parents think it's cute. I don't. Sorry and yes I have 2 kids that stayed mad at me all the time because I wouldn't let them drive. Now that they are older they understand why.

Kids don't drive cars are trucks so why should they be allowed to drive golf carts where other peoples lives are at stake. If they are on there property then fine but not in parks, subdivisions are any other public place where other peoples lives are threatened.
Kids driving carts is the #1 thing that makes it hard on the rest of us. If the parents were held responsible we wouldn't have so much trouble with laws and city ordinances.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #20
MtHollyMan
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I just got in from a late night trip through the neighborhood.
MtHollyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!