lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default D4 rewire and other adventures

Hey everyone, its been a while. I see a few names I remember but overall looks pretty quiet around here. Everyone gone somewhere else? Or just not many wrenching on HD's anymore.

I have not been around mostly because been busy with other things and my D4 had a major electrical meltdown a few years ago. The 3 has been running fine except for some tire issues mid summer so have not really had a reason to mess with the 4.

I will have to check the brand name but I actually found a smooth rib tire that is almost identical to the originals that came on the HD carts. Wasn't especially cheap especially when paying to have it mounted but seems better than throwing away a good rim and getting a tire that doesn't look like the originals. I also think it has a smoother ride than the typical zig zag saw tooth tires. I had one of those on for a while off another cart and it seemed like it had a much stiffer ride.

Other than disconnecting the battery when the smoke started pouring out and towing it to the shed the D4 has just been sitting buried in junk for at least 2 years now, maybe more. Started inspecting the wiring and found that there was at least one wire in every bit of the harness that got hot enough to melt into the rest.

Disconnected the whole harness and set things up again with jumper leads with the minimum of components to see if it still ran and if it would charge. It did. HEI was fine. Starter/gen was fine along with regulator. Other than the entire harness being trashed only the key and pedal switch seemed to suffer. I don't remember if I knew that the circuit breaker was bypassed or not. Now I know to check.

Really not positive what shorted. Only damaged wire I found that wasn't so damaged from the meltdown was the hot wire to the coil. Its a Ford TFI that the bracket had broke on and the wire was pinching between the coil and the frame. Don't think that caused it because it would have stalled and then foot off the gas so short would be gone.

New breaker and harness and thought it was going to be ready to give to mom but after driving it remember that it was starting to run poorly and needed to be choked even hot to get rolling. Checked the compression and its only about 75. Guess motor is going to get some work. I did the crank seals several years ago so I suspect its mostly the low compression.

Found a local(ish) place that will do the cylinder for only $65! Just have to go through my stash and see if I have one for them to do or if I will have to tear this one apart. After moving it dead I hate to have to take it apart. Looks like pistons are not too hard to come by. Same can't be said for complete jugs or some of the gaskets.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson