lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How to make your golf cart street legal

How to make your golf cart street legal (in Florida)

I wanted to write out a detailed tutorial on how to street legalize your golf cart in Florida (specifically Panama City Beach). This process is quite a pain but hopefully with this information you can make the process more efficient for yourself to make it as quick and painless as possible.

To start, know that you can do this with any golf cart as long as you have at least a bill of sale. It can be gas, electric, engine swapped, drivetrain swapped, etc…as long as it looks and functions like a golf cart. If you have a highly modified golf cart and are wondering what exactly you can get away with then check out the “inspection” section.

Now, when you make your golf cart street legal what you are actually doing is converting your golf cart to a “low speed vehicle”. If you are shopping around for golf carts and can find a titled LSV for like $500-$1000 more than a regular golf cart, I would recommend going for the LSV.

By the end of this process your golf cart will be registered as a 2019 (or whatever year it is you are doing registering it) ASPT (make) 4P (model, however many passengers the cart can carry).

Step 1:
Make sure you have a bill of sale so that you can actually make the cart street legal. I just used a generic bill of sale that I printed off the internet but Florida DOT also provides one online you can use: HSMV 82050

Step 2:
Acquire the parts needed for LSV conversion. These include:
  • Headlamps
  • Tail lamps
  • Stop lamps
  • Turn signals
  • Horn
  • License plate bracket with light
  • LSV sign
  • Red reflectors
  • one on either side as far towards the rear as possible and one on the back)
  • AS4 or AS3 windshield
  • Can be folding or non-folding
  • What they look for is a stamp in the acrylic…no stamp and they won’t pass you
  • Windshield wiper
  • Manual or power
  • Seat belts
  • One for every passenger
  • Parking brake
  • Stock one on golf cart is sufficient
  • Mirrors
  • EITHER a drivers side mirror + rear view mirror OR
  • Drivers side mirror + passenger side mirror
  • All three are fine too just make sure you have receipts for all and list them separately on the HSMV 82040 form (more on that later)

*IMPORTANT* When you acquire these parts keep in mind that you need receipts for every single part used to make the golf cart street legal. They MUST have the original receipts that you got with the part and the MUST show or say that you “paid in full” or have a zero balance on your account. If you don’t have the originals you have to reach out to the seller and have them mail you a new one. They will not accept receipts that were e-mailed to you which I think is ridiculous. I made the mistake of finding the best deals on amazon and eBay and tried to use my PayPal invoices as receipts (which seems perfectly reasonable). They will not accept those and will scrutinize each receipt to see if they are actually originals. One staff member even tried to accuse an original as one I had printed off my computer which was cool… This is by far the most difficult and stress-inducing part of the legalization experience so take some time to make sure you do things right. I ended up buying most everything AGAIN at local places like Lowes, Advanced, and my local golf cart dealer so I could have legit receipts that couldn’t be questioned. If I were to do this again I would just buy everything from my local golf cart dealer because they know exactly how to format the receipts for you. Also an important note: if you buy one of the headlight/tail light/turn signal/horn kits online like I did, make sure that the receipt actually states that the kit includes “Headlamps, Tail lamps, Stop lamps, Turn signals and Horn” because they will also use that to reject your receipt.

Step 3:
Find your specialty DMV office that inspects vehicles. In Panama City, this was called the “other motor vehicle services office” which was housed in the same building as the highway patrol. If you have issues just call to any of the DMV offices in your area and they can point you in the right direction.
Drive out to this office and retrieve the paperwork needed to title your golf cart as a LSV. Most of the forms can be printed off the internet, however, they had a special weight form they needed to give me for the people at the scale to fill out (yes you have to trailer the cart to a scale and have it weighed). They also did a good job at explaining how to fill the forms out. While you’re there bring your receipts and have them confirm they are usable. Also ask them what scale people in that area use.

*IMPORTANT* you can’t just take your golf cart to one of those CAT scales and have it weighed even though it gives you a certified weight slip. I made the mistake of doing that and was told it couldn’t be accepted.

Step 4:
Trailer your golf cart to the scale and have it weighted. Bring the weight form with you and have the cashier at the scale fill it out. This cost me like $10.

Step 5:
Assemble your packet of forms and misc stuff to turn in to the DMV for review: (they won’t accept forms if there are scratch-outs on them just FYI)
The forms are as follows:

Original bill of sale of the golf cart of MCO if you bought it new
On the bill of sale you need to write what street legal parts were included in the sale
Example: I wrote “This sale included the golf cart and parking brake. No other parts were included”. Tailor this to your specific application.

Weight slip form signed/stamped from the scale cashier

Pictures of each side of the golf cart with all street legal equipment installed
I put two pictures per standard piece of regular printer paper just to be safe. I also printed in color…I’m not sure if you really need to
Make sure everything you installed is visible in the pictures

Receipts for everything you purchased (remember they must be originals that show paid in full)

HSMV 82040 (google it and print the form out)
*I highlighted the sections that you need to fill out*
82040.1.jpg
82040.2.jpg

HSMV 86064
Just sign and date this one, the DMV will fill out the VIN later

HSMV 84490
84490.1.jpg
The "parts" section just wants you to list out each street legal component and write down the name of the business you bought it from. Don't pay attention to the "serial #" written in the area where you write the business/seller name.
84490.2.jpg

HSMV 84491
Page 1 gives you additional room to list the rest of your street legal components. Fill out the top of the form like you did the 84490 form. Make sure you list each mirror separately.
84491.2.jpg
Page 2 (attached above) is for you to write out where you purchased the golf cart from and what street legal components (if any) were included. You also need to list every other component you purchased and write out where you purchased the item from (like I have pictured). Finally at the bottom of the form you need to copy what I have pictured verbatim.

*Note* you don’t need insurance until after you get assigned the title. You will register it as a 2019 (or whatever year you are converting it) ASPT (make) LSV (model).

Step 6:
Go to the DMV, turn in your packet and pray to the golf cart gods. If everything is in order they will have you pay a $40 inspection fee. Now you wait for them to call you to schedule an inspection after they process your paperwork. For me it only took about a week but I’ve heard this varies. Scheduling an inspection around work may be tough but they offer morning and afternoon slots Monday through Friday.

Step 7: Inspection
I was a bit nervous for inspection because of my highly modified cart with sort of old tires. It is essentially a golf cart on top and a 4x4 ATV underneath stretched to match the golf cart wheelbase. From the outside it looks like your typical mildly lifted golf cart with 25” ATV tires but I was still nervous, nonetheless. The inspection process took about 5 minutes:
Check the serial number on the cart to make sure it matches the number on your paperwork
Visually confirm you have all of the required street legal equipment
My inspector didn’t even check to see if the lights or horn worked, they just made sure it was installed
Inspector will install VIN sticker onto the cart
They put mine just under the old charge port
The cart stayed strapped to the trailer the entire time. They did not need to test the parking brake, check the powertrain or any test any mechanical aspect of the cart.

After the inspection you go inside and pay any applicable fees. I think mine added up to around $110. They will then hand you a printed title for the golf cart. Now that you have this title you can treat the golf cart as any other car. You can either complete registration at that DMV or at any tax collector’s office if you can’t that same day

Step 8: Insurance
Each insurance agency handles these differently but it MUST be insured as a 2019 (or whatever year yours is) ASPT. You will most likely be paying automotive rates (a lot, particularly for a toy) in Florida due to you needing a minimum of $10,000 PIP and $10,000 PDL.

Step 9:
Take your title and your insurance to any DMV and get your tag and registration. All my tax collector’s office needed was my drivers license, proof of insurance and title. Fees came out to around $307

Step 10:
Go enjoy your new leisurely form of transport after the most non-leisurely experience of registering it.
075Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: How to make your golf cart street legal

Why do they need the receipts?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #3
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Why do they need the receipts?
From what I understand the vehicle is getting titled as an ASPT (assembled from parts) low speed vehicle, so the state of florida needs to know the origin of all parts used in the "build". They won't let you use any street legal parts without a receipt unless you state that they were included in the original purchase of the cart (which should be written on the original bill of sale and on the 84491 form).
Old 10-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #4
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

075 thanks for all the detail in your post it is very helpful. It should be a sticky GREAT JOB!!
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 075Limited View Post
From what I understand the vehicle is getting titled as an ASPT (assembled from parts) low speed vehicle, so the state of florida needs to know the origin of all parts used in the "build". They won't let you use any street legal parts without a receipt unless you state that they were included in the original purchase of the cart (which should be written on the original bill of sale and on the 84491 form).
I suppose I still don't understand. What does the "origin of the parts" have to do with any of this?

What I'm saying/asking is, those parts are for safety reasons. Why does the state of Florida care where they came from?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springlake View Post
075 thanks for all the detail in your post it is very helpful. It should be a sticky GREAT JOB!!
No worries! I’m glad to help.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
075Limited
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I suppose I still don't understand. What does the "origin of the parts" have to do with any of this?

What I'm saying/asking is, those parts are for safety reasons. Why does the state of Florida care where they came from?
It is confusing why they need every single receipt, as well as why they have to be in such a specific format. Unfortunately, Mooncarter, I don’t really know the answer to your question. When I was at the DMV asking them myself the staff member I talked to made it sound like they wanted to make sure none of the parts were stolen. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"One piece at a time" Johnny Cash
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is a "LSV sign"?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Pat1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
What is a "LSV sign"?
It's a Low Speed Vehicle sign. It's a orange triangle that goes on the back of the cart. You see them on farm vehicles.
Pat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, street legal
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!