lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
Smyrly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT Solenoid bad...I think

I tried searching for this answer, I promise. Forgive the rookie question.

So my 2005 TXT barn find let me down today. Lucky we were already back in the driveway. Cart shudders and acts like it wants to move but doesn't. Using the AWESOME diagnostics sticky post I think it's the solenoid. It appears to be original and it was blazing hot when I took the cover off.

Questions:
I want to eventually replace the controller, can I put in a upgraded/heavy duty solenoid now that will also work with a new/upgraded controller later or should I go ahead and replace the controller now? If so, advice on which solenoid?

The motor was hot to the touch too. This was after an 8 mile trip on mainly gravel roads with 3 folks on cart...I'm 265# and my kids are skinny teenagers. I expect this is normal...but want to be sure.

Thanks in advance. BTW I need another addiction like this like I need a hole in the head.

For context:
2005 TXT 36 volt. Brand new batteries and charger. New battery cables. Used the buggy all day yesterday off road at a clay shooting tournament without a seconds trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid 1.jpg (199.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid 2.jpg (175.4 KB, 0 views)
Smyrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: TXT Solenoid bad...I think

I'd replace it with a standard solenoid. Not expensive and I don't think the heavy duty ones are really any better or needed.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I'd replace it with a standard solenoid. Not expensive and I don't think the heavy duty ones are really any better or needed.
Solenoids like our SW180 with magnetic break out are definitely better but you are correct, not needed with the stock controller. And you can save some money by just getting a stock replacement ......

But sooner or later you will be replacing the controller and upgrading the solenoid to match for off road use. If your terrain and loads are mild it may last awhile
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:05 AM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Since it sounds like you're unsure about future upgrades I think I would consider the SW 180 dual voltage 36/48 volt model found on carts unlimited. This is more money now but it leaves your options wide open. 36 volts may satisfy you now but 48 volts will really make you smile! Click the link below.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO