lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
idocmiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question EZGO RXV horn clicking

I bought my 48v 2017 RXV in March. The dealer installed a 'street legal' kit that included the headlights, taillights, horn, and flasher. It appears to be a newer kit because the lights are LED but I don't know the brand.

Everything worked fine until about a month ago when the horn quit working. It only makes a click/pop sound as I let off the button (control is on the steering column). Everything else in the connected system works fine. Yesterday I got to where the horn was and it does measure 12+ volts when triggered. But the confusing (to me) part is that there is a sticker on the horn that says 48v. Is it possible the horn needs 48volts to work? And if so why would it have been fine for a few months and then quit?

Additional info that may affect thought processes: 48v Roypow lithium with a 12 volt reducer for accessories (including this kit and a usb plug that shows accessory voltage, constant at 12.2). I haven't tried simply jumping 48v straight to the horn yet, waiting for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
idocmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV horn clicking

I would contact the dealer who installed the kit. I would not connect 48 volts to directly to the horn. I would try replacing the horn with a 12 volt horn.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The horn is indeed a 48 volt horn. Many of those newer LED light kits came with 48 volt horns and no voltage reducer. That perplexed me for a long time until I eventually learned that they don't NEED a voltage reducer and are intended to be wired , the whole light kit, to 48 volts, lights included. The LED lights , AND THE HORN would all have worked fine if they had been wired to the whole 48 battery pack. I stumbled across that fact accidentally when I read on the box that they were intended for up to 60 volts. I scratched my head for a couple of years wondering WHY they were packaging 48 volt horns with light kits. The LED kits can stand full pack voltage. HOWEVER, you mention that yours was installed with a reducer and that you only have 12 volts on the system now. Don't attempt to raise the voltage on the lights ( and horn ) until you consider if there is anything else wired in with them. ( ie radio or other 12 volt items ) The light kit and horn will be fine on 48 . ALTERNATIVELY, since you are already wired up with everything on a voltage reducer, you can change the horn to a 12 volt horn and also work fine, but you're going to have somewhat dimmer LED lighting than you might have experienced connected to 48. You asked why it would have blown for a while until it stopped and started clicking. Up until I found out what was going on I used to dig out the molded rubber poured into the horn tone adjustment screw and dial it down to where it would sound on 12 volts, albeit poorly.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
idocmiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great info, makes sense. After I had the Roypow installed I moved the lights to the reducer so I created this problem. Thanks for both reply's!
Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you moved the lighting power from 48 volts to the 12 volt reducer then you should be able to move them back to 48 independent of any other circuitry which may be voltage sensitive without putting anything at risk. That should wake up your horn and brighten up your lights. I was concerned about anything that might have been tied into the lighting harness.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
ARREXVEE
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Always interesting to read posts like this, and to realize what other setups are out there. Incidentally, I have the same cart (2017 RXV Fleet Electric), purchased in May. I opted to convert to street legal myself, and I installed a Madjax kit with the LEDs. The Madjax kit included a 12V reducer and specifies that all of the lighting accessories are connected to it. This of course made perfect sense to me, as it allows standard automotive-voltage components to be used. I would have never imagined that another kit might have utilized parts like a 48V horn and lights. Learning something new every day.
ARREXVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mostly Pro Fit brand I think, if memory serves me correctly.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #8
idocmiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This weekend moved the wiring harness back to 48 v and all is well (AND the lights are definitely brighter)! Thanks again for the responses and guidance
Old 08-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Old 09-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #10
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the EXACT SAME issue. Any advice on how to move wiring harness back to 48 v from 12v converter?
VEXING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017, horn clicking, lithium, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO