lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
daron
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch problems , chuck wagon engine swap

Hey again , I have read and read on this site and learned a lot recently but I’m still stumped! I have a bristles chuck wagon and have recently took on a engine swap , I’ve installed a 25hp Kawasaki engine , bought a duster 94c 9 puck ribbed cover set up for 1600 engagement, ive also purchased a new comet 790 driven 8 and a half inch round , ive fitted it with a gates 1 3/16 wide belt and adjusted it to have about 1 3/4 slack and the buggy performance is terrible, out of the garage going up a very slight in Cline I get Mabey 3mph and no load on the engine , once I start to go down hill it upshifts fast ! And will lug the engine when starting to go back up hill but doesn’t seem to want to down shift , if I stop and start again, going up hill it’s back to the 3mph stuff , I hope I’m explaining this well enough, this thing ran a lot better with the factory 11hp and the comet 500 series clutches , I hope some one can tell me what I need to try or buy , I appreciate any help greatly thanks in advance guys !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #2
daron
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Clutch problems , chuck wagon engine swap

Any one ? Any help will b greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch problems , chuck wagon engine swap

Let me see if I understand correctly. Under no load it performs well. Under load it doesn't perform well?

Could the engine be the issue? Have you ever had this engine running well in a cart? You could check the engine over, compression, valve lash, read the plugs.
Carb settings and fuel delivery can cause low performance, but I would think you'd notice some popping or bogging sounds.

If the engine is not the issue, it must be the clutch settings. I have tried to use the Duster clutches with the pucks, never really could dial them in. I have a box full of springs and pucks in my shop from all the experimenting. I eventually went to a Comet 780 clutch. Solved all my problems. In fact, I've used the 780 on 4 different engine types and it worked flawlessly on all.

I'm not saying it's the clutch, but if the engine is running tip top, it's really the only thing that it could be.

Post up some really good pics, that might help.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!