lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
ryjacobs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO runs in reverse, not forward

I am trying to repair a 1985 EZGO gas golf cart that I bought from a small golf course in a non working condition. I have tried everything I can think of to getting it running. I took the engine apart and replaced the cylinder, piston, rings, and gaskets. The old muffler was bad so I put a new muffler in it. It has new belts, fuel filter, spark plug, and gas. I got it running and it will go full speed in reverse, but will not run in forward. I've noticed that it seems to take longer than usual for the engine to get up to full speed in reverse. I thought it might be the timing so I adjusted that and got it to go very slow in forward. I thought I might have low compression, but it was running fine in reverse so I don't think that is the problem. Do you know what the compression should be? I'm stuck so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
ryjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: EZGO runs in reverse, not forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjacobs View Post
I am trying to repair a 1985 EZGO gas golf cart that I bought from a small golf course in a non working condition. I have tried everything I can think of to getting it running. I took the engine apart and replaced the cylinder, piston, rings, and gaskets. The old muffler was bad so I put a new muffler in it. It has new belts, fuel filter, spark plug, and gas. I got it running and it will go full speed in reverse, but will not run in forward. I've noticed that it seems to take longer than usual for the engine to get up to full speed in reverse. I thought it might be the timing so I adjusted that and got it to go very slow in forward. I thought I might have low compression, but it was running fine in reverse so I don't think that is the problem. Do you know what the compression should be? I'm stuck so any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
So it does run going forward.............
With new cylinder, piston, and rings compression shouldn't be an issue.
Did you install the piston with the holes to the intake?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
ryjacobs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No, the piston was installed with the hole towards the exhaust. I switched it and the cart runs great. How did you know that is what the problem was? Thanks Jon.
ryjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryjacobs View Post
No, the piston was installed with the hole towards the exhaust. I switched it and the cart runs great. How did you know that is what the problem was? Thanks Jon.
It's a fairly common mistake that happens on 2 stroke top end jobs. The engine will run but it can't draw enough fuel mix to run right. glad you got it worked out
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Bmckinney88
Not Yet Wild

Took my golf cart camping ran great at first then rpms started staying to low to kick the clutch in has new plug new air filter replaced Reed valves when I got home will spit thru carb when trying to go forward but will go revers but not very fast it's a Yamaha g1 can someone please help
Bmckinney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO