lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
EZGOMAX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default I am new to carting. What do I do next?

We just purchased a '13 RXV. I am looking forward to driving, tinkering, cleaning, and maintaining our cart. We just sold our boat and I need a vacation from the marine world. With all the chatter about mods, i need to prioritize my efforts. What modifications will i absolutely need for my stock cart on quasi off-road terrain use Here in North East Texas?
EZGOMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: I am new to carting. What do I do next?

First off, welcome to the forum. It is a fun place here.
Make a list of items you know needs fixed. Then add to that list any upgrades you want to make to it. If any upgrades will cure those items that need fixed, work on getting those done first. Mechanics ( running and reliability) then with that you have to look at safetly. Does and upgrade on the engine/motor require upgraded brakes. How ruff is the terane you will be using it on, do you need a lift kit and bigger tires. Got to think about this where the engine/motor is concerned. How many people are going to be riding on it. Will the require extra seating which more than likely require extra springing done to the rear. Again, something to ponder when looking at braking. Starting to see that it sort of all works together. So where to start. The lists, then the bank, the get ahold of our site sponcers to see about getting info on what you want to do overall and see if it is feasable. A good one to talk to is Scottyb. These things as fun as they, can be a black hole. Always something to upgrade, new products to check out, etc etc. But above all, have fun with it and here. Pics are required start, during, and after. We like to see what our members are doing.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
dronning
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Our RXV is electric, we are doing off road about 30% (nothing drastic) and went with 20x10-12" all terrain tires (20" tall tire is about max for a stock controller). Not sure what the max limit is for gas. With that combo you don't need a lift but we put a 3" lift for some extra ground clearance on ours, heavy duty dual action springs too because we added a back seat. If you plan on serious off road then consider a long travel 6" lift.

Try to think ahead a little too. Like doing tires, lift kit (if needed) and heavier springs at the same time. Do the rear suspension stuff before you do the rear seat because it gets in the way a little. Not a big deal just easier.
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:01 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

First, lay out what you want/need it to do. Then think "what does it not currently do" that's on that list. (Be honest & realistic). Are you looking for just good functionality, or is flashy looks part of the plan?

Your 2013 should have the preferred curtis controller setup (which will be good now, and into the future, parts availability & upgrades are in your favor). I say "should" because people have been sold the older model represented as the newer ones, it's easy to tell if you know what to look for.

Unless you absolutely need big tires, stay modest, smaller tires are better for a stock cart you dont wanna pour a pile of money into. Street, or offroad tread doesnt matter too much, but big diameter totally does matter (stay below 22" diameter tire if you want to keep costs down, like 20" overall diameter is cool). Bigger tires overtax the stock parts & mess up the stock controller parameters. A little lift doesnt usually hurt it, but big tires do. If you just bought this rxv, clean it up good first. And look at the wires going down the passenger side of the batteries to the motor area. If they are on, or next to the batteries, tie them up to keep them away from the batteries. Keeping corrosion out of your wires is key to long life. When cleaning batteries & wires laying on them, use baking soda & water mix to neutralize acid. Do that until no more "fizz" happens. (You should do that cleaning about every month anyway). Another "myth" you need to quickly ignore is "you should drain them down to dead to avoid 'memory effect'", that's a myth that shortens your battery life. You should keep them as charged as possible, that means charge them after every use. If you used it today, charge it tonight. Let the charger get to "full charge" before disconnecting, unless you need to use it. Only add water to cells after its fully charged (unless they are already below the cells, then just enough to cover the cells). You should maintain the water level just about 1/4" above the top of the plates, no higher. Any higher level doesnt add any power benefits, but will add to a nasty mess for you to keep clean. You should get into the habit of checking the levels about every month. Dont buy a "auto fill jug" from the auto parts store, just do it manually (trust me). A plastic water bottle (like you drink from) with a small hole poked in the cap may serve as an easy dispenser. Use only distilled water, not tap water. Healthy batteries wont use much water anyway. Also, keep your tires aired up, low pressures make more work for the cart, and wear out the tires faster. (It really does make a big difference for electric carts). Feel free to ask any questions you have, we will be happy to answer. And, welcome to the cart world, I've had gassers & electrics, I'm ezgo & yamaha certified, and I promise not to steer ya wrong.

Wow, the thumbs are tired after that one......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
EZGOMAX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the detailed response. I am concerned with safety and mechanics, but to be honest, I have not done much in that regard yet. I have it in the shop where some of the issues mentioned will be assessed. I personally am not knowledgeable enough to do so on my own.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
EZGOMAX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger's Rides View Post
First off, welcome to the forum. It is a fun place here.
Make a list of items you know needs fixed. Then add to that list any upgrades you want to make to it. If any upgrades will cure those items that need fixed, work on getting those done first. Mechanics ( running and reliability) then with that you have to look at safetly. Does and upgrade on the engine/motor require upgraded brakes. How ruff is the terane you will be using it on, do you need a lift kit and bigger tires. Got to think about this where the engine/motor is concerned. How many people are going to be riding on it. Will the require extra seating which more than likely require extra springing done to the rear. Again, something to ponder when looking at braking. Starting to see that it sort of all works together. So where to start. The lists, then the bank, the get ahold of our site sponcers to see about getting info on what you want to do overall and see if it is feasable. A good one to talk to is Scottyb. These things as fun as they, can be a black hole. Always something to upgrade, new products to check out, etc etc. But above all, have fun with it and here. Pics are required start, during, and after. We like to see what our members are doing.
Thanks, Our cart is electric so your comments are quite relevant. The rear flip seat was installed so it is too late to take advantage or your tip about springs. I am pondering a change in suspension, but frankly have not spent enough time riding to evaluate the ride. We don't plan on constant passengers as we do not have kids, and friends already have carts.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Regardless of who does it, we may need some more guidance on what your end goal is. Do you want your cart to be more visually stunning, lights, shiny things, stereos, neons?

Do you want it to go relatively fast, how fast? Streets versus offroad?

My cart is a road queen, it's all show, mostly used for farting around the neighborhood. My requirements were 25+ mph so I could mostly keep up with car traffic, lighting and convenience features. We drive it to friend's driveways, culdesacs and it gets most of its use being stared at or taking young kids (3-10 years old) on little joy rides. Up until two days ago when I blew a solenoid, we were taking it on evening cruises through the hood to look at various Halloween blowup decorations that exist throughout the neighborhood.

Outside of hopping a curb, mine won't go offroad so it's all about nice paint, cool neons, etc.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
EZGOMAX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. "Road Queen" is probably a good descriptor. We are using it in an RV Park. It is a very large area with a "driving rage (250 yd shagging)" in the center. The roads are rutted gravel and uneven. There are some off road areas as well.

I went with the 3" lift and 20" Knobby tires to start. The batteries are serviced by a pre installed filling system that utilizes floats in each sell to regulate the water level. The cell caps have a full cell indicator visible from the battery tops. I have not had enough experience to determine the system accuracy. I appreciate your tips on battery maintenance. As a former boat owner I am somewhat familiar with four bank systems, but not as a source of fuel. I will check the cables running from the motor!

I am leaning towards adding an enclosure for a 4 seater due to the impending change of weather (advice and recommendations welcome). I may defer any further mods until I spend more time playing with what I have.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #9
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Where are you located. The Rv park you discribed sounds very similar to one I stayed in up in Cave Springs, GA. Had mine there but never trail ride, not built for that. Lol
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:31 PM   #10
EZGOMAX
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the delayed response. We are at Thousand Trails at Lake Tawakoni in Pointe, TX. It’s a couple of hours east of our Dallas home. You can’t cart around in Dallas, but you can march around and destroy stuff. Go figure.

Tags
ezgo, introduction
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO