lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #1
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1995 ezgo speed issues + motor identification

Hello everyone!

This is my first post although i've followed the thread for months now.

I have a 1995 Textron and have 2 problems i'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. The speed of the cart is very slow. I have a hunch after reserching this problem that it might be the reverse safety switch.

However this leads me to my 2nd problem, identification of the cart.

2. AS seen in the photo, it appears to be a medalist. Do these have series motors? The cart does not have a toggle switch. Im attaching photos of the inside in cluding the Serial, F/R switch, Selenoid & controller. I bought it 2nd hand and i'm afraid the previous owner may have upgraded components and/or made a mistake with it.

The cart just wont go past around 10mph and have very low power. New batteries, full charge....all normal trouble shooting done.

I think if i can identify the cart's motor that will really help me with upgrading components and testing...

Looking forward to hearing thoughts!
~Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1995 textron serial.jpg (213.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1995 textron selenoid controller.jpg (202.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1995 textron fr switch 2.jpg (204.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1995 textron fr switch.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1995 textron body.jpg (221.3 KB, 0 views)
tbluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 ezgo speed issues + motor identification

I have the same cart as yours.
I have mismatch battery issues with mine,
going to take care of that in a few weeks.

A picture of your batteries and cables also
could help the experts here diagnose your issue.
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

tbluge…..YES you have a medalist cart.....YES your have a SERIES drive system. the fact that you are only getting 10 mph isn't that all uncommon.

So Tony.....the real question, what are you wanting to get out of your cart in you up coming upgrade? I am guessing that you want more speed!

How do you use your cart? just a street cruiser?
What type if terrain do you deal with? is it hilly or mostly flat?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

I've got a '96 TXT series cart which is pretty much identical to your '95 Medalist with the exception of the plastic vs metal body (mine is red as well). I've got new (Aug 20) Trojan batteries and my cart runs 17mph fully charged on flat ground bone stock.

If the cart functions normally in all aspects and it's just the speed, then I would guess the issue is ITS related. It might simply need to be adjusted or it might simply be bad. The attached should be pretty self explanatory in regards to its adjustment. There's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding throttle testing as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITSThrottleSettings.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like you have a 95 Medalist (Metal body) with a series drive. In stock trim it had a top speed of 12MPH on level pavement when it came from the factory. It appears to have stock height (18" tall) tires, so something is holding it back by about 2MPH.

What make/model are the new batteries?

Need pictures of batteries and high current (thick) cables.

Does cart push easily by hand?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #6
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok , yep no problem i can get a shot of the batteries here asap
Old 10-15-2020, 06:32 AM   #7
tbluge
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
tbluge…..YES you have a medalist cart.....YES your have a SERIES drive system. the fact that you are only getting 10 mph isn't that all uncommon.

So Tony.....the real question, what are you wanting to get out of your cart in you up coming upgrade? I am guessing that you want more speed!

How do you use your cart? just a street cruiser?
What type if terrain do you deal with? is it hilly or mostly flat?
Great info! Sorry for the delay I didn't have notifications turned on. Anyway, this is good info. I'm just looking for a bit more speed. I'll start with the basics and go from there. Wires / Selenoid / Controller / HD switch.

The knowledge that its a series motor helps with the controller choices. It seems REALLY slow compared to 2 of my friends carts that are both series motors as well ('97 & 98' stock carts) So thats why I broght that part up.

Is it possible the reverse safety restrictor switch is triggered on all the time? I was reading some threads about a orange wire that could be 'cut' to eliminate that all together...

thanks so much to everyone for helping!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluge View Post
Great info! Sorry for the delay I didn't have notifications turned on. Anyway, this is good info. I'm just looking for a bit more speed. I'll start with the basics and go from there. Wires / Selenoid / Controller / HD switch.

The knowledge that its a series motor helps with the controller choices. It seems REALLY slow compared to 2 of my friends carts that are both series motors as well ('97 & 98' stock carts) So thats why I broght that part up.

Is it possible the reverse safety restrictor switch is triggered on all the time? I was reading some threads about a orange wire that could be 'cut' to eliminate that all together...
thanks so much to everyone for helping!
tbluge….that's not your problem, as the reverse feature cuts your speed in HALF. so you would being going a LOT slower, not 10 mph.

NOW....before you go to far....keep this in mind about a SERIES drive system. you can do all the things you mentioned (controller, solenoid, HD F/R, bigger CABLES, ETC...) even adjust your brakes to ensure nothing is dragging….your cart is STILL only get to STOCK speeds of 12 mph.....UNLESS, you said you want more speed.....in addition to the drive system upgrades, you would need to do one of two things, or possibly both if you want. either get a new high speed motor.....or make the jump to a 48v system, (which will give you 33% more speed/torque, even out if a stock motor) OR BETTER YET.....got to 48v AND a High Speed motor....you can see in my sig, I've done both....of course my cart is lifted and has larger tires, but still there is a LOT more potential available for your cart.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
webwarmiller
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbluge View Post
It seems REALLY slow compared to 2 of my friends carts that are both series motors as well ('97 & 98' stock carts)
Yep, as I mentioned earlier my stock '96 series cart runs 17mph on flat pavement with full batteries and the tires at 22psi. I only max out at 10mph if going up a pretty steep hill. IMO, there is something that is definitely holding your cart back. Have you checked/tested the ITS?
webwarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwarmiller View Post
Yep, as I mentioned earlier my stock '96 series cart runs 17mph on flat pavement with full batteries and the tires at 22psi. I only max out at 10mph if going up a pretty steep hill. IMO, there is something that is definitely holding your cart back. Have you checked/tested the ITS?
The "stock '96 @ 17mph" must be a "freedom" cart from the factory. That was an option from the factory. Apparently this 10mph one didnt get that option box checked. Not every cart goes 17 from the factory, in fact, the vast majority do not go that fast (those speeds exceed ANSI ratings for a "golf cart" that is to be used on a golf course). I would guess that for every "freedom" cart sold (17-19.5 mph), there are 10 "fleet" carts sold (speed to never exceed 14mph, usually 12mph).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1995, ezgo, identification, reverse, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO