lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
bdinan1970
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Can't figure out backfire

Hey guys, new to the forums. I picked up a 2003 ezgo txt about a month ago. 295cc Robin. It was running great, (still does). I've got a back fire when letting off gas most of the time, and will happen all of the time when coasting for a few seconds, then step on gas. It's pretty apparent unburned fuel is getting into the exhaust.

I've done a ton of reading on this and have tried a few things with no luck. I even took it into a golf cart dealer (ezgo) and they've had it 2 weeks and haven't figured it out either! Here is what I've checked:

-throttle cable adjustment
-valve adjustment set to .004
-new carb and fuel filter from Amazon
-dealer tried coil
-compression and leakdown test (dealer)
- check exhaust manifold bolts

The cart runs great and has plenty of power, but it sounds like I'm driving through my neighborhood and shooting at my neighbors..lol

Anyone have any solutions that I can try? Thanks in advance
bdinan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can't figure out backfire

Ensure your throttle linkages are long enough that they not only permit the throttle plate to close completely, but do not even begin to open the throttle until after the starting solenoid switch has engaged. You can run the idle screw on the carb all the way out or even discard it as golf carts do not idle. The idea is to make sure the throttle closes completely. After adjusting the linkages and the screw, slowly push the gas pedal with the key off. Watch the throttle and listen for the starter solenoid switch. You should hear the click before the throttle moves to open. Then the throttle should completely close before you hear it click off. After these adjustments, throw some fresh plugs in it and see how she does. You may need to make minor adjustments to get the happy medium between no backfire and enough throttle to run wide open. Just remember when adjusting the linkages, a little adjustment goes a long way.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
bdinan1970
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I did check this, but you provided a little more detail ao I'm going to go try it again. I ran out of ideas with this so I took it into a shop. (ezgo dealer) Sat there for 3 weeks and they couldn't figure it out either. It definitely seems throttle related as I can make it happen every time by coasting for a bit, then hitting gas again.
bdinan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

With the key turned off push the gas pedal all the way down.

Then let up on it and look real close to see if cable at carburetor is coming back all the way.

Take your hand and pull on it to see. These cables do stick and have to be replaced on occasion. It has to come back all the way. If not stuck then it might need adjusting where I showed in picture.

Remove the idle screw if you have to. These engines don't idle anyway. The throttle plate has to close all the way where no gas can enter engine when pedal is not pushed.

Does this cart still have the riveted plate on top of governor at rear end ? There is a plastic bushing in there that breaks sometimes. You will just have to look good and see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adjustments.jpg (172.1 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back fire, ezgo, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO