lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
b1reed
Not Yet Wild

Default Low voltage under load

First off I will say that I did search on here and I did find a few threads on this topic but none of them seemed to answer my questions.

I have a 97 club car 48 volt that is far from stock with a brand new set of US batteries in it. With the pack fully charged, if I take it up the road by my shop which is a pretty steep hill I can drop the pack voltage to 36-37 volts. Im pretty sure that's not normal but im not sure considering I have a 500a controller and d&d motor. Ill list the specs on the cart below...

97 club car ds
Imaginative Manufacturing 4x4 lift kit with 2 speed rear end
Alltrax axe 4855 500a controller
D&D motor, not sure what the specs are on it...
US batteries 8VGC XC2, I have about 10 cycles on them
2ga wires throughout the whole cart
hd f&r switch
400a solenoid from scottyb
efx moto 350 tires (maxxis bighorn lookalike) 26-12-12 rear 26-10-12 front

I'm sure I am missing something in that list but that gives everyone an idea of what I'm working with. For those of you not familiar with the 4x4 kit it is a normally open diff in the rear until you lock it and then you can also lock in the front wheels. My issues with voltage drop is without the front driveline engaged and the rear diff open just like a normal cart, so its not caused by excessive drag on the drive line. The motor is a D&D but I have no idea what the specs are on it, I bought it used. the cart will run 18mph in high gear up the hill with the voltage dipping down to the 36-37 volt range. In low gear it will run 11mph up the hill and bring the voltage down to 40-41 volts.

Is there something im overlooking here or is this all normal for the mods that are done to the cart?

Thanks for any help!!
Brandon
b1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Low voltage under load

Those numbers look good to me. I suspect they will improve slightly as the pack breaks in.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
b1reed
Not Yet Wild

Really? that's a bit of a relief... so im not hurting anything running it at that low of voltages? I read on a few posts that you should never take the pack below 45 and some said 42 for shot periods. will it hurt the pack at all?

Is there enough info there for anyone to give me a good guess on how long of a runtime I will see when the batteries get broken in?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The voltages you usually see are not under load. It is normal for the voltage to drop significantly under heavy load.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Irreversible damage can occur if the batts are drawn down below 1.5 volts per cell , ( i would not go below 1.75 volts per cell) do ot attempt those steep hills until battery pack is broken in
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
b1reed
Not Yet Wild

I think my confusion is that some people are talking about standing voltage, and some are talking about voltage while driving the cart. I have never taken the pack below 48.5v as far as a standing voltage is concerned. However, even on flat ground if I floor it the pack will come down to around 40v or so. I haven't ran this thing enough to have a bunch of collected data. its been -10 and -15 with wind chills up to -40 around here and needless to say isn't the best carting weather!

So I guess my question is lets say I take it up a hill and the pack is at 36v for 2 minutes, when I stop the pack recovers just fine to 49v+, for those 2 minutes did I cause harm to my batteries?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What size batteries did you put in the cart? How many amp hours is their rating?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

According to their site, his battery model is 170 amp hour rating (20hr rate).
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Those numbers look good to me. I suspect they will improve slightly as the pack breaks in.
I'm with G on this one. I see mine go that low under hard acceleration and it has from the start. Have not seen any ill effects in 2 plus years of hammering it.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1reed View Post
Really? that's a bit of a relief... so im not hurting anything running it at that low of voltages? I read on a few posts that you should never take the pack below 45 and some said 42 for shot periods. will it hurt the pack at all?

Is there enough info there for anyone to give me a good guess on how long of a runtime I will see when the batteries get broken in?
I don't think those voltages for short periods of time are going to damage anything. As for the run time, that will depend largely on your right foot.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car