lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Default voltage question--under load

I've got a voltage meter hooked up and I'm curious about the readings when the cart is under load. Battery's are new, which is mostly why I'm curious. Straight off the charger meter reads around 39 volts, no more than I leave the house the meter is down to 34.5-35 volts, very minimal hill. Do any tooling around on the bigger hills, rougher terrain on the farm and it'll read down into the 32.5 range. Are these readings what I should expect to see? I'm in a 90 Marathon, 275 amp curtis, factory cables, 20 inch atv tires...if any of that makes a differance.
mnooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

Default Re: voltage question--under load

good question, my 48 volt shows almost 50 at idle, then down to 46 under power. 700 amp,stock 36 volt motor
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am no expert but I would guess that turning those 20" tires off of 275A seems like a tough job but then again its only pulling 275A hmmmm. Im gonna go hook a meter up to mine and drive up a hill. BrB!
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Another question--Do I lose power/speed/voltage thru cables? Asking because the cables going from the FNR get pretty warm...I can touch them but I wouldn't want to wrap my hand around them for any real length of time.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

stock 6 ga. cable???upgrading to 4ga might help, just got back from a quick drive I have a 480 amp controller so might not be that great of an example but here goes

strt. 38.8
cruise 37.2-37.4
slight hill 35.2
big hill 34.6 leveling off to35.2-35.4 once moving good
back home 38.4 after siting for 120 seconds

my wires used to get hot upgraded to 4 ga. my f/r switch burnt upp upgraded to hd fnr nice and cool now
my solenoid still gets hot will be upgrading that soon too. heat is not your friend. don't quote me on this but I think ive seen it said that anywhere there is heat there is a loss of power. things will get warm but anything over 120 degrees is probably too hot. if you cant touch it there is a problem
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Nwest--yeah, stock 6 guage

Your little trip shows pretty similar results to what I see. Not much drop just cruising. My drops are more extreme with any type of hill though. Thanks for checking it out.

Can someone explain why the cables on the batteries are staying cool to the touch, but the ones from the FNR are getting so warm?? Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

mnooner and SHAWN DAVIS: Those voltage readings are normal, it's a voltmeter not a state of charge meter. It is used to assess performance and after you stop and the batteries settle down for a hour or so it will give you an accurate voltage reading.
Larger cables won't do anything to affect your voltage they only allow more amperage to flow.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnooner View Post
Can someone explain why the cables on the batteries are staying cool to the touch, but the ones from the FNR are getting so warm?? Thanks
Your F/R switch needs to be rebuilt. Did you also put new cables there?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
mnooner and SHAWN DAVIS: Those voltage readings are normal, it's a voltmeter not a state of charge meter. It is used to assess performance and after you stop and the batteries settle down for a hour or so it will give you an accurate voltage reading.
Larger cables won't do anything to affect your voltage they only allow more amperage to flow.
Thanks for the answer on the cables affecting voltage...I definitely wasn't sure how that worked. But more amps = more power, so if my cables are hot I'm trying to push too many amps thru?
Old 09-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
mnooner
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Your F/R switch needs to be rebuilt. Did you also put new cables there?
dang it, didn't scroll down far enough. So the F/R is the reason for hot cables. This thing is getting like a boat, only this is a hole on land that I throw money into.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO