lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 98 48v club car slow

Hey everyone. i have an issue with a 98 48v club car. its very slow and has no power climbing hills. before i start tearing it apart and replacing parts, maybe someone help. i put new fully charged batteries in hoping that would solve the problem. I also load tested and SG tested them just to eliminate the possibility of a "bad new batt" the cart rolls fine with the brake off. it has the rocker f/r switch. when riding in the cart on a flat surface, it has no pick up and go, and when it gets moving, its only going about 5-6 mph. on hills, forget it. it wont move. is theres a way to test the controller or the "throttle" control?
itstheburns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 98 48v club car slow

Has this problem started since installation of new battery pack? If so they will not give you full power until after break in period that can be as much as 20-100 discharge-charge cycles. If problem was BEFORE battery replacements and you have not replaced all 6 guage cables, now might be the time to consider 4 guage welding multi strand cables throughout as they get corrosion inside that cuts ability to flow full power? Take cart for run and after trying hill climbing check all cables for high heat. If you find one or more replace ALL. It may be that you have other problems such as pedal speed control unit under drivers floor, main solenoid, solid state controller, motor itself, BUT do power checks first. If you dont have power available ( pack voltage 50.96 volts ) and individual batterys ( 8.49 volts ) its like checking a carburator for being out of gas?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I should have mentioned that the pack is def good. i had these in a 94 club car and that cart runs fine. all the cables are 4awg with a little over 50vdc. all connections are freshly cleaned and making full contact. i believe its in the pedal, controller or motor. i know more about ezgos and club cars are few and far between. thanks for the quick response
Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok they didn,t have a 48 volt in 94.....48 volt started in 95 so are you sure you didn,t put 6 volt batteries in? happens all the time....i would check that and if the batteries are right than take the cart for a ride about 200 ft or so and than check the resistor coil behind the battery pack for the reagan braking if its glowing red than your problem is in the braking system.................you did say it was a reagan right? if not sorry.......after that i would open the V-glide and see what your contacts and movable wiper arm look like...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

My bad, its another 98. typo. the cart i took the batts from is identical to this one. ill try what you are suggesting and i will get back to you. Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Update: i cleaned all the connections on the batteries, controller, motor, and solenoid, readjusted the brakes, puffed up the tires to 25 psi. this is a regen 2 cart. i was talking with a local club car guy that said its possible for the speed sensor in the motor to be bad and that would cause the cart to run slow. he didnt mention anything about the pot assembly. he recently replaced one of those speed sensors in a cart at my golf course and that solved that same issue. this makes me think its either the motor sensor or that pot assy. i also swapped out the controller for one that i know works properly and it didnt change the result.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,m not 100% certain on this but i don,t think 98,s have a speed sensor in them.........if i,m wrong i,ll be corrected but if i,m right throw away that techs phone#...........................................8 )
Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
itstheburns327
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

it does have the pigtail coming from the back of the motor
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thats for the reagan braking, sorry if its a 3 wire plug and one of the wires is green its for reagan braking.................................
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm on my phone right now so I can't cut and paste do a search for
bench testing speed sensor and search for repairing speed sensor
They're both on page 5
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car