lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Pulled cart down for paint now won't start!

Hi all, I pulled my cart apart for painting the chassis and body and now that its back together it will not start

I took heaps of photos so I am pretty sure I connected everything back up correctly.

The only thing that was an issue was a new generator I installed. I may have got some of the wires crossed up because it seemed to have the F1 and F2 terminals reversed to the old generator which I only noticed on removal. I turned the key pressed down on the gas and it tried to run but would not start. The generator got very hot so I stoped, I did not get any smell of melted or burning wiring but I pulled it out and put the old working generator back in.

Now when I turn the key and hit the gas nothing! No generator moving to try and kick the engine over or any other sound nothing.

I replaced the solenoid and still nothing. I got a jumper lead direct from the battery to the main lead on the generator and it got the generator going but engine would not fire. Checked fuel was getting to the carb all was o.k. Pulled a plug and looked for a spark no spark.

I am more of an engine man than a auto electrics man but I do not seem to be getting power past the solenoid. I checked the head lights they are not working either, horn is the only thing getting power along with the 12V socket in the dash. No broken / melted wires or blown fuses that I can see any suggestions :help

Thanks

Aussie Workhorse
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Pulled cart down for paint now won't start!

Hi Aussie Workhorse, I would start with cleaning all the grounds real good they can be a nightmare if not getting a good ground.
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

On the Generator A2 connects to F1. and F2 connects to Black wire and DF to the Green.

There is an inline fuse at the solenoid and a micro switch at the F&R that you should check the condition of.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatop View Post
Hi Aussie Workhorse, I would start with cleaning all the grounds real good they can be a nightmare if not getting a good ground.
Hi popatop, I will check it outin the morning but I think its not just an earth ing issue.

Will let yo know how I go and thanks for your suggestion.

Aussie Workhorse
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
On the Generator A2 connects to F1. and F2 connects to Black wire and DF to the Green.

There is an inline fuse at the solenoid and a micro switch at the F&R that you should check the condition of.
Hi scottyb, I will re check the inline fuse to the solenoid (thought I had but best to double check)

The reverse beeper will not sound when I shift it into reverse gear (so I think there is no power getting past the top bolt on the solenoid. I did replace the micro switch just to make sure. could it have anything to do with the ignitor black box near the solenoid?

Its got me buggered as I don't know these carts to well. I am really thinking along the line of a fuse but can not find a blown one anywhere.

Aside from the new generator I installed getting very hot I could not see or smell any other wires melting or burning.

Thanks scottyb, mate you seem to always have an answer for my many problems.

When I get her going again paint will be next then I will post some photos.

Aussie Workhorse
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could be a grounding issue if you don;t have a good ground at the motor, Generator, ignitor(bleack box by the solenoid), & at the solenoid
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
yellowhorse7
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you bypassed the solenoid, ground a mounting ear of the starter directly to the battery and and applied power directly to F2? Try this. If nothing then I'd guess the unit is toast. If you read my post "Marathon Starter Issues" you will see that I am having the same problem. I ohmed everything out, checked to see if voltage was getting not only to the solenoid but past it at the starter. All checked out fine. Grounds are important so I ditched the braided cable and used #4 for all 3 grounds...battery to frame, engine to frame location and F/R switch to that location. I'm going to have mine rebuilt.

Interesting part in my case was that I did a complete frame-off resto and everything was in working order. I pulled the pulley from the starter to paint it. In doing so I helped the puller tool by tapping the shaft with a hammer. Maybe that caused something to crack in the armature. Mine is an 89' so it's quite brittle. Hope this steers you in the right direction
yellowhorse7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Boys

Cleaned away fresh paint away from all the grounds this morning and she fired straight up.

I would have pulled everything out again before I would have checked grounds (didn't think the played such an important roll) before I would have checked the things you advised.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Hope you get sorted out yellowhorse7!

Aussie Workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO