lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
JsK
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Lithium Conversion with stock electronics

Got a 1997 DS cart for cheap witbout batteries. Looking at FLA prices makes me think the simpler lithium conversions might work better for my application. I have plenty of experience with lithium cells for RC just not in carts.

Do you guys think the stock Curtiss 1204 and Vglide will survive lithium voltages as long as the motor is in good shape?

And for people using Chevy Volt packs how much range are you getting with a single 48v module?

Thanks
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Lithium Conversion with stock electronics

all i can speak to is the distance. i can get 10 to 11 miles and still not dead. that was with about 10, 14% grades 400 foot long hills.

most electronics are upgaded 500amp alltrax, 200amp rev contactor, new motor, larger wires. origanal v glide.

hope this helps
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

how are you going to use it? Is it 36volt or 48?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
JsK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
how are you going to use it? Is it 36volt or 48?
48v series. Its just gonna be a runabout so 18 hole range is not a priority. It has a bed on the back now so the lighter lithium is going to be nice for cargo capacity. I threw 4 old car batteries in and drove a bit before they went flat so other than cleaning it should just need batteries to be up and running.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
JsK
Not Yet Wild

Well 14 cells are on there way. I think i will build a 7 cell pack first and check the range.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

I bet you end up sticking all 14 in there. I bought around 120ah worth of modules and used 80ah at first so I could use the remaining modules for other applications, finally couldn’t stand it and ended up with all of them in the cart. You’re gonna love them no matter what you do!
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

For that usage, you should be fine. Let us know how it goes.
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
JsK
Not Yet Wild

Yeah i figured for the price I would just pick up 14. I am actually curious to run them through a discharge cycle on an I charger 401. It will do a 20 amp discharge per channel easily and I should get capacity and IR readings for each module. After that I will try a mileage test with just a 7 cell pack and see if it will do what I want.

Not gonna lie it would be nice to recover some cost and put it toward a zeva and dedicated charger. I may just pull out 90% and then put them on a bottom balance rig like Sergio suggested and run without a BMS for awhile to try it. Its really going to depend on how close the IR readings are.

The only real issue with just running 14 cells right away is the older club cars have a battery compartment form factor that doesn't really support the straight 14 cell packs, running into the same problem you did on your build vinnie. Between the angled upswept frame rails and the Vglide its a tight fit for a long pack.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Aquaman95
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
Yeah i figured for the price I would just pick up 14. I am actually curious to run them through a discharge cycle on an I charger 401. It will do a 20 amp discharge per channel easily and I should get capacity and IR readings for each module. After that I will try a mileage test with just a 7 cell pack and see if it will do what I want.

Not gonna lie it would be nice to recover some cost and put it toward a zeva and dedicated charger. I may just pull out 90% and then put them on a bottom balance rig like Sergio suggested and run without a BMS for awhile to try it. Its really going to depend on how close the IR readings are.

The only real issue with just running 14 cells right away is the older club cars have a battery compartment form factor that doesn't really support the straight 14 cell packs, running into the same problem you did on your build vinnie. Between the angled upswept frame rails and the Vglide its a tight fit for a long pack.
Why not just split the pack between the 4 & 8 cells, place each section in a compartment and reconnect with a heavy gauge cable.
Aquaman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
Do you guys think the stock Curtiss 1204 and Vglide will survive lithium voltages as long as the motor is in good shape?

And for people using Chevy Volt packs how much range are you getting with a single 48v module?
I know I am a little late to respond here, but...

1 47ah batt pack in my cart (although I did 14S and not 12S as the Volt comes standard) should run me between 11 and 13 miles range on pavement with no hills where I live.

And the stock 48V controller can handle more V for sure. I don't know longevity but my stock EZGO TXT48 controller handled the full 58.8V (and also one time I accidentally overcharged the pack above 58.8V) just fine. I ran like that 4 weeks IIRC and it was still good when I pulled it out to put an Alltrax in there.

I like the Alltrax because I can program a LV Cutoff as a backup safety precaution. And I can program all kinds of other cool stuff, but the LV Cutoff was what sold me on it.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium