lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT Lithium Upgrade

I have a 2005 PDS 36v and the batteries are shot. Can anybody recommend if a Lithium battery upgrade is worth it? Max distance traveled is 15 miles, but typically 5-10.
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO TXT Lithium Upgrade

If you are looking for cost savings, may not be worth it. If you are looking for weight savings, pack performance, longest life, no acid mess/corrosion, no water maintenance, may be a good plan for you. I have built several lithium setups, and cost savings is not on my list of selling points. Your range needs are no problem at all. And a 100ah lithium pack delivers the same amount of energy as a lead T-875 pack when both are configured for 48v use (and tested with the industry standard Lester discharge machine).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

What price range are you talking about? I think this might be worth it if I don't have to worry about changing out batteries every 5 years. The performance would of course be something I am interested in as well. I am running 36v and I don't want to replace the controller and motor if I don't have to.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, ours are pretty pricey. Over 3k added to cost of a new cart. But that's a full system, cells, charger, battery management system, and a 7 year full warranty. We do not sell them outside our area, or for self install. You could build a system yourself for a lot less out of used Nissan leaf cells (as has been done on this site several times). The cells can be configured for any voltage you need, and stock controller & motor can be used.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I can make a case for it if the price is equal or less than 2 new sets of batteries. My assumption would be the lithium batteries would last at least as long if not longer.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just know what your getting into. These are not your grandfather's batteries. All I will say is that you have seen the "e-cigerett's" blow up in smokers pockets, and you have seen the "hover-board" craze lithium batteries catch fire for no apparent reason (and, of course.....there are reasons) So, if you are not an Engineer or someone who has a background of heavy science, it's not like putting together a flashlight.

Just sayin...........
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Yeah, but you don't hear of hybrid cars burning down....
Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
rib33024

Take lots of pics . I would like to do this, if the cost comes down
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

I am surprised by the responses thus far. I thought more people would be interested in heading down this path.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaper View Post
I am surprised by the responses thus far. I thought more people would be interested in heading down this path.
If you search you will find there is a small contingency who are quite happy with their lithium conversions. Alltrax has been doing some testing with their new XCT control. They report great performance and run time with a 50 amp pack due to the weight savings in these tests.
The cost is out of line for the average cart owner and the advertised 10 yr life is yet to be validated. I think you may see more interest in years to come. For now lead acid is still king with these little carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO