lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lithium Battery Conversion

My batteries are just over 3 years old now after doing the 4-12v to 6-8v conversion. Cant believe I have had the cart that long...might have to do some new tinkering with it. In comes the thought of doing the Lithium battery conversion. I know these batteries are going to be needing to be replaced soon, so I just want to get a jump start on this right now.

My cart is stock besides a speed upgrade to get me to 23mph and wheels and tires. Other than that the controller and motor are stock and I have disconnected the OBC after my battery conversion.

I am looking to get the most run time possible without changing the motor and controller (this might come later, but I know going to lithium is a little spendy so those 2 will have to wait)

Any ideas on cost to do this? I have seen some posts where people did 14 lithium cells and were getting upwards of 40+ miles on a charge. This would be where I would like to start. Anyone have any left over batteries, or anyone that has done this able to chime in on how much it cost them to do this conversion???

Any help would be much appreciated!
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Battery Conversion

As you will have to replace the charger as well as the batteries when considering ion batts these conversions while not overly difficult if you are handy are not by any means cheap likely costing upwards of 2K
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may also want to wait one more round of batteries, there are a lot of projections that say once the Tesla Lithium Ion Battery Gigafactory1 in Reno, NV (will be largest building in the world) comes online in 4 or 5 years that Lithium Ion battery cost will drop by 25-30%.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lithium batteries are great but they are expensive and there are not that many options available yet. I went for it on my Yamaha cart and I am happy with the results but my wallet is over 3K lighter. My cart is 250 pounds lighter!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
You may also want to wait one more round of batteries, there are a lot of projections that say once the Tesla Lithium Ion Battery Gigafactory1 in Reno, NV (will be largest building in the world) comes online in 4 or 5 years that Lithium Ion battery cost will drop by 25-30%.
Its tough doing this because I am only 3 years into a set of Trojan T-890s and they are already showing signs of being shot. I can only get about 27 holes out of them when I should be getting much much more. I would rather spend the $2000-$2500 now and get a bunch more run time and know I should be good for quite a few years rather than know I'm throwing $1000 at a new set of Trojans that are only going to last 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Lithium batteries are great but they are expensive and there are not that many options available yet. I went for it on my Yamaha cart and I am happy with the results but my wallet is over 3K lighter. My cart is 250 pounds lighter!
Did you do anything above and beyond to come up to the $3000?? I have seen posts of around $2000 or so to get the batteries and charger, etc. I just want much more run time as I go to the lake and play 18-36 holes on a given day and then would like to drive it around at the lake a bit, and I am not able to do that right now...
Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I went with Nissan Leaf Batteries and Charger. My stock controller did not like the higher voltage and it started failing a few weeks after I installed the batteries. I now have a nice Alltrax controller that works great. Batteries, BMS, and charger were about $2300.
While I am very happy with my conversion I don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. These are not turn-key systems.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Lithium Battery Conversion

Where did you get the Nissan battery?
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

How about something like this? Im not sure about the specifics of what is needed to get lets say 40+ mile run time, but if anyone knows what this system here would get me I would appreciate it!

Specs of this (BMS is installed as well)
Average voltage: 3.6V per cell, 14 cells in series - 50.4V average
Capacity - Rated 52Ah, Measured 53Ah
Minimum voltage - 42V
Maximum voltage - 58.8V
Weight - 55lbs
**Installed BMS for balancing and overcharging protection

Says to connect to the golf cart you need a Andersen connector 175A red with 2AWG wires which they could add in for $35.
Also says chargers available - $168 for a 10A charger (is this all that would be needed to charge all these batteries?)
comes with a 6 month warranty.

Anyone able to tell me if this is a good deal or not? Seems like a good deal, but I haven't done a whole lot of research on what is needed for my request of 40+mi of run time, etc.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart batt pic.jpg (67.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
AbnTgr01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/EVGOLFCART.php

DID A LITTLE LOOKING MYSELF TOO
AbnTgr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnTgr01 View Post
Looking at the two it would seem that the one I posted would be a better deal, less than $1300 for batteries, BMS, wires and a charger. I think that is about all that is needed..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car