lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
gwoolsey56
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sealer Neccessary???

No! Base coat is the color portion of base coat \ clear coat paints.
gwoolsey56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

no, base coat is the "color" coat, prior to clearcoat. Primer or primer sealer is used to prepare the surface for paint, and to provide a smooth solid color for the paint to be sprayed over. Raw metal should be sealed using a sealer or primer/sealer and wet sanded smooth, and any body work that needs done should show up in the primer. If so, do the body work, using filler sparingly to smooth things out, prime again, wet sand, color coat, wet sand if necessary, clear coat, wait a while, wetsand and buff to a high shine.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Michigan Mike
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I wouldn't suggest buffing flat black to a high shine...
Sealer isn't necessary for what your doing. Sand between coats of primer but not your color coat. You sand primers and clear. You don't sand the color coat of a base/clear system. Single stage color can be wet sanded but I wouldn't on a flat. The flat black should be pretty forgiving on bodywork and sanding scratches.
Use the adhesion promoter....worth every penny.
I wouldn't bother with the flex additive. That stuff only keeps the paint soft for a short period of time. It's designed for plastic bumper covers that you have to bend and stretch to get back on a car after painting. And it's only really used if it's gonna be awhile before you install it. In short order the paint gets just as hard as it would without it. It doesn't keep the paint flexible so you can bounce your cart down the trails with the fenders flapping and not develop cracks....however that's what is commonly thought.
Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
Sealer isn't necessary for what your doing. Sand between coats of primer but not your color coat. You sand primers and clear. You don't sand the color coat of a base/clear system. Single stage color can be wet sanded but I wouldn't on a flat. The flat black should be pretty forgiving on bodywork and sanding scratches.
I wouldn't bother with the flex additive. That stuff only keeps the paint soft for a short period of time. It's designed for plastic bumper covers that you have to bend and stretch to get back on a car after painting. And it's only really used if it's gonna be awhile before you install it. In short order the paint gets just as hard as it would without it. It doesn't keep the paint flexible so you can bounce your cart down the trails with the fenders flapping and not develop cracks....however that's what is commonly thought.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
No, definitely don't buff your flat black. I was responding to the question of base coat, which implies base/clear process, which you WOULD buff. You wouldn't do clear coat on a flat black typically, because it would defeat the purpose of the "flat". And no, don't sand it either, unless you have a lot of really nasty runs, etc., then you can sand out the runs, and/or apply a couple more flat coats, then wet sand it all to a SMOOTH but still "flat" finish. Looks better than the hazy flat black look that you get from your typical rattle can type paintjobs. :)

And I also said wet sand "IF NECESSARY" for the color coat, which is OFTEN necessary with "newbies" trying to paint their own projects, since they often get runs, orange peel, etc.. BUT remember it's easy to sand THROUGH the color coat and into the primer or at least thin the color coat out enough that it'll look cloudy and end up looking horrible when you're done.

This isn't my first rodeo, I have been involved with paint and body off and on for 24+ years.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Mtbr41
Getting Wild

Kinda confused, I get what yall are saying about not polishing/sanding the black, but Should I clear or not?
Mtbr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #17
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

You'll end up with a gloss finish if you clear coat it. The clear is what makes a base/clear paintjob glossy, otherwise the base is "flat" like your flat black. So, I don't recommend clear for your job.

Just shoot your flat black as smooth as possible, and enjoy it. If it gets scuffed, you'll have plenty left over to re-spray later on as desired. :)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Mtbr41
Getting Wild

Cool, thanks everyone
Mtbr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
Michigan Mike
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

sp - I know what you were saying, I was just jokin' around, not trying to say you were "wrong". I could see someone painting for the first time taking the wheel to their flat paint.
There are flat & satin clears for doing two stage low gloss jobs, but let's not complicate the issue. Use a single stage flat & be done with it. Quick, easy & cheapest way....and it will look great!
Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I noticed in his first thread he said he already had a gallon of paint to paint all 32 of his carts "just kidding" .It would all depend on what type of paint that is to determine if he needs to clearcoat or not which Michigan Mike and Groundpounder would both agree on I am sure .If it is basecoat clearcoat system you must clear because there is no hardener in the basecoat "also known as the color". So as Mike suggested flattening agent in the clear or low gloss clear would need to be applied .Acrylic enamel ,Lacquer you are good without .So what type of paint do you have MTBR41 ?
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint